virus

Old 09-03-03, 10:45 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
virus

Hello again
I just received an email from a person who said a virus named jdbgmgr.exe has gotten by the virus checkers and resides in the machine before doing damage. It has a teddy bear next to it. This seems so familiar to be a joke(inane), removing a necessary file, or perhaps real. Does anyone know about this? We are advised to contact our address book friends and edit select all delete and recycle bin. When I get home from my daughters I'm going to run my mcafee. I'd still like to hear from you all to know what's up.
Thanx
Pete

Old 09-03-03, 11:21 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know the purpose of this file, but it exists on my windows partition which is never used for e-mail and is run only once or twice a year. I doubt it is a virus or other problem. Check with your virus program update site before deleting this file.

Here is what Symantec says about this hoax.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...file.hoax.html

This would not be the first time a message of this nature was sent to the unsuspecting who deleted the file only to find that their computer would not work again until the hard drive was reformatted and the operating system re-installed.

Syantec's site informs that it is not necessary to re-install the file if you do delete it, because it is useful only debugging Java code by Visual J++ developers.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-03, 12:17 PM
peterr,

I get that email at least 3 or 4 times a year. I have a great rule of thumb to follow. Google can be a tool in implementing it. Everytime you get a virus warning message, or any type email looking for a missing child simply take the first line or subject line of the email, copy it and then paste it into a google search bar. You will then be given many sites to go to that explains the email hoax, or if its real then explain in more detail about it.

I have also begun adding this to the routine. If I receive and email that is about a hoax, I hit the reply to all button. Then, I include a brief note stating that it is a hoax and to please visit this site (include a site, usually a well-known virus protection site). Yes, it is a lot of email bouncing through the web, but it might save someone from deleting a necessary file or an innocent file.

I always end the note with "Happy Computing!" and then my name.

Kay

Old 09-03-03, 01:12 PM
C
I sent one of the hoaxes back to a list to which I subscribe and got many replies stating that they had not realized that it could have been a hoax. "If I saw it on the internet, it must be true."

Old 09-03-03, 01:17 PM
Sounds like my kids and "Well I saw it on TV so it must be true". double !

Kay

Old 09-03-03, 03:04 PM
P
Thanx

Appreciate the work and thank you.
Pete

Old 09-03-03, 03:17 PM
Its becoming harder today on the computer user due to the rash of virus' that are out there. Better safe than sorry is usually the rule of thumb, but I have received virus warnings, followed the instructions only to later find out it was a hoax AND having to reinstall my operating system.

I've learned the hard way, and hope others don't have to learn some of these things the same way I learned them...and still learn them sometimes

VERY Happy Computing to you!

Kay

Ps. The file that your email recommended you delete probably would not have affected your system much (if deleted), if at all. It is a programming tool. It does have the cute teddy bear icon as well.

K.

Old 09-03-03, 04:17 PM
P
virus

Thanx for the information-just for the sake of it I had a friend forward the email to me so it will be reinstalled.
Pete

Old 09-03-03, 04:49 PM
N
The teddy bear icon is for a program that is a Jave Debug Manager and is only used for programmers that program in Java language. Most hoax email subjects and urban legends can be found at Snopes.com and this particular hoax can be described at Teddy Bear

This is the best site for checking all the bogus email that you receive. You can spend hours on the site, reading many things that you had believed to be true in the past.

Nashcat

Old 09-03-03, 04:57 PM
P
curious

Hi
I'm wondering a few things. I deleted it so nw I've lost a windows file. I had some friends send me an email with the hoax and it does not appear in my search-why is it a one shot deal?
Also, now that it's gone what should I do? Recovery seems an over kill unless ncessary.

Old 09-03-03, 05:14 PM
This file isn't necessary for you to run Windows. It is a programmers file so don't worry about it. It won't turn up in your search since you deleted it.

A few years ago I deleted one of my system files. That's when I had to reinstall my OS.

The first time I got this email that you just received, I also deleted the file. It didn't cause any problems on my system. My best friend also deleted the file about a month ago and she's not having problems either.

Just as nascat said in his post, you won't need that file unless you plan to program in java.

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: