product key i.d. # ?

Old 09-09-03, 07:31 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
product key i.d. # ?

i bought a used computer and i'm trying to re-install windows 98 and it's asking for a product i.d.#? i have the # for my computer but will it work on any computers? i know when you put a p.c. in the shop they have to have a # they can use so what is it and where can i get one? any info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 07:48 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you are talking about is the product license key. A license is only for use on one computer <i>at a time</i>. So, if you are not using your old computer and you have uninstalled Win98 from it, then you can use that license on another computer. If you are still using the old computer and have Win98 on it - <i>legally</i> you cannot use that license on another computer. You must purchase a new license to use both.

But, to answer your question, assuming both versions of Win98 are the same (both OEM or retail, etc.), then yes your old license will work on your new computer.

Old 09-09-03, 04:29 PM
tae
If you formatted and are installing a new os from disk or floppy, you will need the numbers from them. If you are simply installing over the os(no format) with the same os(like from a folder on hard drive) you may need the numbers that were used on the original install. If it is still bootable, there is a way to find them, but cant remember off hand.

Old 09-09-03, 07:37 PM
We can possibly get you out of this glitch IF you tell us the current condition of the hard drive in the used computer.
Is it bootable into windows 98 or have a blank drive?
Where did you get the 98 install disc you attmpting to use?
Have you installed elsewhere with this disc before?
If there is another machine using Win98 that was installed from that SAME Win98 disc, the Prooduct Key number can be recovered. There is only ONE product key that will make the installation work. Guessing 25 alpha-numeric charachters is a lifetime of work. If and when the COA/PK number is found, do yourself a favor anf use a Sharpie marker and write it on the CD.
(Only after confirming it is the correct number)

gj