slow computer

Old 09-25-03, 06:55 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
slow computer

I have a dell 8200 1.8gig That is running lot slower than i think it should. What can i do to improve its performance?

I have verizon dsl internet connection and at times it is extremely slow connecting to web pages...how can i speed up the browser...Thanks for your help

Old 09-25-03, 07:46 AM
C
You can start with the usual things:

If you are running Windows.

Empty the recycle bin.
In internet explorer, select tools, internet options, and on the General Tab, delete temporary internet files
scandisk
defrag
ad-aware version 6 now.
virus update and scan
consider removing files sharing programs such as bearshare, kazaa.
removing unnecessary terminate and stay resident programs that are represented in the system tray. Start>Run>MSCONFIG, click on the last tab, and unselect unneeded programs. If you inadvertantly unselect something you want to restore, follow the same procedure and select it, and it will start again when the computer restarts.
Check free space on your disk. Right click on the harddrive in my computer, and see how much free space there is. A small disk requires more management nowadays, because it is easy to fill it with all the large pages on the internet as they are stored on the drive.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-03, 05:06 PM
T
Thanks chfite.

Still running slow ...My hard drive has 19.71GB used and 17.49GB free.....Memory has 874Mb free and 318Mb used......

1) norton took over my recycle bin and keeps protected files in there... do i still have a regular recycle bin and if so how can i locate it and put it up on my desktop? What are protected file ?

2)I did delete all my temp internet files and ran the defrag program.

3) do i need to purchase Scandisk and ad-ware version 6 and if so were Can i purchase from?

4)I do have some songs on my computer would it be better to get rid of them? Do they take up that much space?

5)I do run my anti-virus program all the time. I'm running norton 2002...Is this all right or should i update?

6) Can you recommend a good book on computers that will help me troubleshoot my pc myself.

7) my the way i'm running windows xp....any good books that can help me navigate and understand that system?

Thanks

Old 09-27-03, 05:32 PM
C
norton took over my recycle bin
You still should be able to empty the recycle bin, but you have plenty of hard drive space, so that should not be a concern.

Scandisk is included in Windows. Here's a link to how to run it.

http://help.isu.edu/disppage.php?doc_id=668&sec_id=85

Ad-Aware is free for personal use from www.lavasoftuse.com

I'm running norton 2002.
It should update the virus signatures automatically during your subscription period.

I am not much good on what books. I have been deeply involved in computers since before the first IBM PC came out. I just grew up with it.

Perhaps some others could recommend some books. Have you taken the XP tour that comes with the XP operating system?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chfite; 09-27-03 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 09:52 PM
tae
so your computer seems fast enough when you are not on the net,but it's to slow when you are? Which browser are you using? There are some people here on the boards who use different browsers, maybe they can tell you about their performance.

Old 10-06-03, 01:44 PM
matm347
Visiting Guest
What are you doing that seems slow to you?
If it is only the internet, first make sure you are using the DSL and not the dial up(I worked in DSL and you'd be surprised at how many people do this).

Second, visit www.dslreports.com under the "our tools" section you can run speed tests, and have them check for line quality as well as checking your computer to make sure the settings are optimal for your new DSL.

Also, if it runs slowly periodically, it could be your anti-virus running a background scan, most programs will want you to set one up during the install.

If this does not help, try and specify what programs you are using that seem slow. Hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and getting the task manager would let you know if the CPU was loaded and what program was using it.

Last edited by SafeWatch; 10-06-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 02:26 PM
T
Thanks I will try all and get back to you...

Old 10-07-03, 09:05 PM
dabwid
Visiting Guest
Try this link

This link is called Tech Guys, it has about 84,000 members. These guys are computer whizs. Now don't get me wrong this forum has lots of great stuff, but it a little limited.
http://forums.techguy.org/index.php?s=

This site has a computer check program that can troubleshoot your system and give you suggestions on how to fix your problems, also has a great tech forum.
http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: