printer problem

Old 09-26-03, 08:32 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry printer problem

I have two printers - one is a zerox XE80 which works fine and also a HP DeskJet 890C which is not working. I have had this printer for 2 or 3 years at least and is always worked find. All of a sudden the computer cannot establish communication with it. I have tried connecting in directly in stead of using the printer switch box and still does not work. I assume it is a problem in the printer.

Any ideas that I should try or just give up with this printer although it has always printed in color very good.

Thanks,

Harlan.

Old 09-26-03, 09:01 PM
C
It still does not work.....will it come on when powered on? Does it respond to an attempt to print, at all? What does the printer queue show? What operating system are you using? Is it up to date? What type of computer system do you have? Have you checked to see if newer drivers for this printer are available from the vendor? Have you restarted the printer? Will it print a test page if you hold down the paper feed button while powering it on? Have you worked on it, changed cartridges, moved the printer, checked to see it the cable is connected properly at the printer and the switch box? Do the lights on the printer, if any, come on when it is powered on? Have you restarted the computer, if it runs Windows? Have you tried to re-install the printer in Start, Settings, Control Panel, Printers or Start, Printer?

Old 09-27-03, 04:56 AM
H
I have windows ME. Yes I have done everything including adding a new printer and downloading new drivers.. It will print a test page directly from the printer but the computer always says it is not making communication between computer and printer. I even connected to the cable where my other printer is connected and still no luck. I assume it must be the printer.

Anything in the printer that could be checked? There are no paper jams as it will print the test page.

Thanks

Old 09-27-03, 06:03 AM
C
I am down to clean and lubricate. We seem to have tried everything else.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-03, 08:29 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, or just buy a new one - they are so cheap these days, it's almost not worth the time it takes to work on one.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-03, 10:12 PM
By the way you describe it, I assume this printer is on the parallel port.

Try this. Create a text document in Notepad or similar. Call it "file.txt". Open a command window. Type "type file.txt > lpt1:"

This should print the contents of file.txt. If it does, then the physical connection from PC to printer is fine. Then it MUST be related to the device driver. Go to the web site of the manufacturer and download the latest driver for your O/S.

If it doesn't print, either there is an air gap in your printer cable, or, more likely, the BIOS setting for your parallel port is screwed. It should be set for standard or enhanced ECP. Try playing with these settings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: