Second Hard Drive Woes!!!

Old 10-01-03, 05:05 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Question Second Hard Drive Woes!!!

I am currently trying to add a second hard drive to my computer. It is a p4 1.8, 256 ram, and running XP. I tried setting it to slave but it only showed 31 gb (it's a 80 gb samsung), after looking at my manual, it states to use cable select, so I changed the jumper and formatted the drive. It is now drive E, Is there a way to link my new drive to drive C, so it will act as one drive? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to erase my first drive if possible.

Last edited by rljsmith2001; 10-01-03 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-03, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You won't have to erase your first drive, but computers see each drive differently. You can still save information to the new hard drive and run programs from your old drive.

I have 2 hard drive and 2 removable disks. They each have their own letters, but I can use all four. I just have to remember where I store (save) information.

Kay

Old 10-01-03, 09:46 PM
Here is how to change the drive letter assignment in XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...307844&sd=tech

XP home edition does not support dynamic disk, wherein more than one disk is treated as one big disk by the operating system.

You can generally use the other disk as part of all that is running. When you install programs, you can direct them to the second disk. When you save files, you can direct them to the second disk. The program will usually keep track of them. There is no need to erase your first disk, unless you want to do so.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-03, 09:54 PM
Chris,

I didn't realize that you could have a computer read more than one drive as two. That's neat. Don't guess it would apply to me, though. I use part of the Linux drive (since its 80g) to house some of my Windows info since that drive is only 4g.

Learn something new everyday.

Kay

Oh, silly me did it again LOL. I bought a scanner that ... of course... isn't supported by Linux. One of these days I'll learn LOL.

K.

Old 10-01-03, 10:26 PM
You can span multiple drives transparently in Linux, too. XP pro does it, but not XP home.

Old 10-02-03, 10:48 PM
tae
How to span with xp pro:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q308424

A raid setup would also be an option.

There used to be software for this, but with the size of hard drives now, i dont know if it is even made by anyone anymore.