Noisy computer

Old 10-04-03, 06:30 PM
RobW12
Visiting Guest
Noisy computer

I think I need to replace the power supply on my computer. When I turn it on, it makes a loud buzzing noise and the fan speed goes up and down. Sometimes the buzzing noise goes away after the computer warms up. It now seems to be getting worse every day.

Is this something that can be done easily? If so, can anyone tell me how to do it before I open up the box.

Thanks.

Old 10-04-03, 06:38 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First of all, if it is the power supply going bad (or the power supply fan) you need to get it fixed ASAP (like tomorrow!!!) If not, you could literally burn up the power supply, or worse, the CPU.

Actually removing the power supply and fan is not very difficult. There's usually about 4 screws that hold the PS in, in the back of the case (you can clearly see them on your case before you open it.) Open the side of the case and make sure you remove all of the power cables from the devices (including the Mother Board.) Also, make sure you and the case are well grounded before you start - otherwise, you could damage some equipment with ESD (electro-static discharge) - the easiest way to do this is to leave the power supply plugged into the wall when you are working on it. Once you have the cables disconnected and you're ready to remove the 4 screws, you should unplug the power cable from the back of the PS. If the PS has a switch on it, make sure it's off before you start also.

Before you do all of that, you will probably want to check the PS to make sure it really is your problem - listen for the fan to see if it's turning or if it's making noise, blow out the PS and computer with some compressed air really well (the bottled kind, not with a compressor!), and listen to the other fans (the CPU fan in particular) to make sure one of them is not the culprit.

Good luck! And let us know if you need any further assistance.

Old 10-06-03, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Replacement fans are available at Radio Shack and other electronic supply places. Think I paid about $10 for the last one I replaced. Four more screws to remove and cut the two power wires and it's out.

Old 10-06-03, 04:38 AM
Wow tow_guy, you did good on the price. The last one I bought was about $30. Maybe I need to change stores LOL.

After burning up two up of them and several cpu fans as well, I learned that keeping the inside of the case blown out with compressed air will definitely prolong the life of the power supply and fans!

Kay

Old 10-06-03, 07:55 AM
S
TigerDirect.com
NewEgg.com
MaxCooler.com
Several other online retailers have them for about $5 each (plus shipping - but if you need more parts, that's the way to go.)

Old 10-12-03, 12:44 PM
RobW12
Visiting Guest
Noisy computer

I'm finally getting around to replacing the Power Supply. My computer is a clone, P3-450. This is the second power supply in five years. I didn't try replacing it the first time -- had a tech guy come in and do it, and I don't remember it being a big deal.

Pulled the cover off and found the PS box, with one fan that exhausts out the back. It's 250 Watts, but that's about all it says on the unit. It also has a 4-line wire that goes to jumpers on the computer's switch. I don't know whether it's an AT or an ATX Power Supply (I checked some parts websites and saw lots of different types).

Question One -- Does it matter whether or not I get an AT or an ATX Power Supply?

Question Two -- Does it matter whether or not I get a 250 Watt Power Supply, or can I replace it with a 300 Watt or 350 Watt one if I can find one that's cheaper? I've seen prices from $29 to $100 for Power Supplies, for different Watt units.

Any advice on finding the right part is appreciated before I go find a replacement unit.

Old 10-12-03, 02:00 PM
C
Does it matter whether or not I get an AT or an ATX Power Supply?
It makes all the difference. You would be hard pressed to find an AT power supply without asking for one.

A P3 will have an ATX power supply.

Whether it is larger than the current value in watts won't matter. 300 watts is plenty for the typical computer.

Removal and replacement are straightforward. The only tricky part is the power plug to the floppy drive. It is possible to put it on backwards and burn up the drive. The rest of the connectors will not go on wrong. $30 - 40 would be about the right price range.

I, for one, would not waste my time replacing a fan in a power supply.

Check back if you need anything else.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-03, 03:08 PM
RobW12
Visiting Guest
Noisy computer

Thanks, this helps a lot. Just one more question -- you say you wouldn't bother replacing the fan. I don't think in this situation I have a choice because the fan is part of the Power Supply.

Let me know if I'm missing something and can get one without a fan and can move the old one over into the new PS.

Thanks again.

Old 10-12-03, 04:19 PM
S
What Chris is saying is that it's a waste of time to replace just the fan in the existing PS - if you're going to pull everything out, might as well replace the whole thing.

And, I must say, I have to agree. For the price of PS's, you really can't go wrong.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-03, 04:20 PM
C
You don't understand. I would not replace the fan in the power supply, if that were the apparent problem. Some folks have discussed this in another thread. Of course, a new power supply comes with a fan.

Old 10-12-03, 04:36 PM
RobW12
Visiting Guest
Noisy Computer

Thanks guys -- I'll do the repair. All I have to do now is make sure I plug the right wires into the right components..... stay tuned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: