dumb ?

Old 10-06-03, 11:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question dumb ?

I have noticed a lot of offices and others that leave their monitor on most of the time. Wouldn't that shorten the life of the monitors? I usually turn my off every night,shouldn't I be

Old 10-07-03, 06:42 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some places update their computers/databases every night and they need to leave their computer on. I'm not sure why the monitor would need to be on though.
You'll hear a ton of reasons why people do things every which way, but I personally turn off my computer when I know I won't use it the rest of the day.
I have some co-workers that leave their computer on because they don't want to wait for it to boot every morning, and if they shorten the life of their computer, they would have to be replaced == brand new equipment.
I shut mine off each night, because I feel like it wastes power.

Old 10-07-03, 06:59 AM
C
Even if the computer needs to be in standby for systems access from an administrator, the monitors can be set to turn off automatically after a period of time. All of mine are set that way. If nothing else, it saves power.

Old 10-07-03, 08:11 AM
S
Turning off the monitor is not a bad idea - although most OS's have Power Saving technology anyway, that will usually shut off the monitor after so many minutes. I still turn off my monitors when I'm done with the computer - I think it's just a good habit to get into.

However, shutting down the computer can actually be bad for it - you can actually shorten the life of the CPU by doing that. Most CPU's run at anywhere from 100*F to over 140*F at normal operating cycles (some get even warmer than that when being heavily used.) The constant warming and cooling of the CPU is really bad for the silicone. Not to mention, the computer uses 10X as much power to start-up as it does to sit idle (and that's not in standby or suspend mode.)

If you use your computer daily, it's really better to leave it on and let it go into standby or suspend and just shut off the monitor.

Old 10-07-03, 10:16 AM
Monitors can suffer from the same "thermal shock" as CPU's. All EnergyStar compliant monitors these days will go into suspend mode if no video signal is detected. The suspend mode reduces the monitor to very low power usage (15 watts or less), but allows a small amount of power to be used to keep the CRT up to temp.

On the other hand, Turning a monitor or CPU off nightly probably isn't going to shorten the life of the unit any more than the industry's plan to make sure all hardware becomes obsolete within 5 years of purchase.

Bottom line: Flip a coin. If you're going to turn it off, unplug it too, which will provide the additional benefit of protection against power surges and lightning hits. While you're at it, pull the network and/or phone plug out at night too.

Doug M.

Old 10-07-03, 01:21 PM
K
Not to get in a pushing match, but... I have never seen a CPU that was ruined due to turning it off/on often. the only CPU damage I have seen was severe heat (heat sinks not properly fitting, or failing CPU fans) or power surges (usually lightning strikes or PSU failure). I cannot see how cooling a silicon chip to room temperature and heating it up again would ever hurt it thermally. That being said, I realize that every user has their own reasonings for the things they do, and if you want to waste power I'm OK with that too. I design power plants at my job.

I disagree that it is any easier on a computer to avoid daily boot-ups. I think its just plain wasteful. In the summer, my home-office also has to cool every bit of heat that my computer exhausts while it is on.

By the way, if your computer uses 10X as much energy to boot-up (which only takes one minute), you only have to have it off for 10 minutes to conserve more power than the boot time.

Old 10-14-03, 04:19 PM
R
Computers running Windows 9x or Windows Me need to be rebooted on a regular basis. Depending on what is installed and how they are used this may be once a day, or every few days. Due to the design flaws in the operating system, this cannot be avoided.

Windows NT, 2000, and XP do not have this same design flaw and can be run for long periods of time with no problems.

Monitors can safely be turned off at any time. Newer monitors will shut down to almost off after so many minutes (if configured properly) and use very little energy in this mode.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: