Cable internet connection

Old 10-09-03, 08:10 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
Question Cable internet connection

I want to get cable internet instead of dial-up. I have some questions first. My cable company will be thru Time Warner either Roadrunner or EarthLink. It will only be for one computer. No network.

Advantage or disadvantage to buy my own cable modem rather than rent theirs?

Advantage or disadvantage to connect by USB port or 10Base T Ethernet card? I don't have an ethernet card installed.

Is there a newer type of USB port? Do I need it?

I have a USB hub (only 2 USB ports on computer). Can cable modem be connected thru a hub?

Thanks for any help.

Barb

Old 10-09-03, 08:48 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, the obvious advantage to buying a modem is that you'll save money over the long-run, but the disadvantage being that you'll have to fork out the money now (they're fairly cheap these days though.)

If you're not going to be networking computers, there's no advantage of USB over Network Card, or vice versa - USB is plenty fast enough to support a cable modem connection (and it will be much easier to install and get setup - basically plug and play.)

There are newer USB ports (2.0), but for your purposes, no you don't need it - 1.0 is fast enough for cable modem speeds.

Yes, you can connect a cable modem through a hub - I seriously doubt you will see any speed reductions - but, if you can, it may be advantageous to use an on-board USB port.

Good luck! And enjoy your cable modem

Old 10-09-03, 09:36 AM
T
I always recommend Ethernet over USB for any kind of network connectivity. There are too many things that can go wrong when you do Ethernet over USB, and is much more difficult to troubleshoot. While USB is easier to install, I've found that Ethernet is much more reliable.

Old 10-10-03, 08:31 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
I'll be calling my cable company to find out what the monthly fees are if you have your own modem and to find out if they have specific modem requirements. I also want to be sure I'll get some sort of tech support if I use my own modem.

Thanks for the advise. I'll probably go USB just because I need to keep things simple for me. And I can't imagine any reason we'd need to network in our home, so I can't rationalize installing another piece of equipment into my computer.

I am so looking forward to a constant and fast connection. Tired of falling asleep waiting for downloads to finish.

Old 10-10-03, 09:33 PM
tae
i save 15.00 a month by owning my own modem. To me, simple is not usb(tried usb dsl once.....never again) it is a nice network card. If you dont have to use the hub,dont. Check with cable company about any promotions. Sometimes office max or the like will have a cable modem sale and offer a free month of cable access with purchase. Yes, you will love it, until it goes down, then you will scream. See if you can get dialup backup service. Tech support should be no problem, just make sure you write down the numbers to your modem, in case you need to tell them what they are. Last time i looked, cable modems were really cheap on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...+modem&from=R8

I had roadrunner, and it went to cox high speed internet. It was a really sucky 2 months as they got things straightened out. here is a link to their approved modems:http://support.cox.net/custsup/help/...d_modems.shtml
Sometimes, sleep is good!

Old 10-10-03, 09:48 PM
I use Earthlink through Time Warner here (Memphis, TN area). The cost is the same whether or not I use their modem or mine. They also supply the ethernet card, and install it for you.

I also own my own modem, but they said it would be best to use their in case the modem dies, they will replace it at no charge. If mine dies, then I have to replace it.

Check with Time Warner there and see their policy regarding modems.

You will LOVE broadband!

Kay

Old 10-11-03, 10:01 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
tae -- do I understand correctly that you use your own modem with cox high speed internet? What modem do you use? Are you connected thru an ethernet card? I can connect a USB modem without using the hub.

kaybyrd -- I am going to talke to Time Warner to see what their policy is regarding owning your own modem. Was the ethernet card part of the installation charge? Is renting the modem part of the monthly service charge? Have you been happy with your service from Earthlink?

Thanks for the advise.

Old 10-11-03, 10:20 AM
The ethernet card was a part of the installation. When I went through a period of trying to use dialup, all Time Warner wanted back was the modem, not the ethernet card. When I went back to Time Warner internet, they just brought me a new modem.

I like both Roadrunner and Earthlink's service. Earthlink will 'piggy back' through roadrunner (Time Warner's service). The reason I swapped to Earthlink from Roadrunner was for two reasons. My best friend's ISP has blocked all roadrunner emails due to spam so I had to use an alternate account address to email her. No fault to roadrunner, but to her ISP since I'm sure they don't block aol, msn or yahoo addresses LOL. The second reason is that RR only offers 10 hours of dialup as part of their cable internet service. I needed more than that since my husband travels and we communicate by computers instead of running up phone bills. Earthlink offers unlimited dialup with their cable service plans. Both offer extra email accounts with their broadband plans, RR is 5 accounts (here) and Earthlink is a little more I believe. This way we can log in at the same time, but under different profiles without running into problems.

To me, both are equal other than the reasons mentioned above.

When I need to update on the laptop, and since it doesn't have an ethernet card installed I use USB to connect through my modem. I can't have the desktop and notebook hooked to the modem at the same time, but can disconnect the desktop from the modem, then boot the laptop up while connected through USB and connect that way. I haven't tried connecting the desktop up through USB to see if there is a difference.

The modem does come with a USB driver disk that must be installed to use the modem through usb.

Kay

Old 10-11-03, 10:36 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
kaybyrd -- thanks for all the info. I'm really all fired up now to call Earthlink and get things started. We are moving into our new house during the next two weeks and would really like to get the cable internet set up right away.

My biggest problem now is convincing my husband it really is worth the few extra dollars for the much improved service. I know once he sees how it works, he'll love it. My family will like that they can call and actually get me on the phone instead of busy signals all the time.

Thanks so much.

Old 10-11-03, 10:52 AM
Earthlink has a special running right now for broadband/3 months for $21.95. Roadrunner offered the same deal for the first 3 months as well. Check the installation costs, though. I think I got mine for $4.95 but some places charge as much as $100 for installation.

If they're going to charge that, then check on the installation price if you do it yourself. Gather all the information from the cable company you'll need to get started, have them give you the modem, card and installation disks. If necessary, its a very simple process of doing a self installation. You will also need an Earthlink disk, and Time Warner will provide that as well. Just make sure they don't do you like they did me LOL. They accidentally gave me an AOL disk. I didn't discover it until I got home, but already had the Earthlink disk from my dialup experience.

I had to make some budget changes to be able to keep broadband, but it wasn't hard to find the extra money to go with what I had been paying with dialup. I do love the speed, and convenience of being able to get online quickly, get the information I'm looking for, and go on with my life as opposed to dialing up, waiting....searching....waiting....LOL. I have an older machine and our phone lines out here are terrible, too. It made getting online a real trial at times.

Kay

Old 10-12-03, 09:45 AM
B
how old is your computer?

Barbara, how old is your computer and what is the brand?

I ask because many of the new computers (last couple of years) come with the ethernet already installed - integrated into the motherboard. If this is the case, then all you do is plug in the modem (looks like a heavy duty phone wire) and you're ready to go. Check the specs for your computer. You might already have it. If not, its easy to install. If you are hesitant, ask the ten yr old kid next store to do it.

I have roadrunner and would hate to go without it. If your husband does anything on-line at all, he will wonder how he ever got along without it. If all he does is email, then he will not appreciate the added value.

Old 10-13-03, 11:51 AM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
If you do use USB, then make sure that you don't have a network adaptor cause you will have to disable it before using the modem through USB. I always say use a network adaptor besides they are cheap.

Old 10-13-03, 07:15 PM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
kaybyrd -- I'll check the installation costs carefully. I can handle doing the install myself if they're going to charge $100!

BobF & sir_jeffrence -- My computer is several years old. In fact, I installed the USB ports myself and have just replaced my processor for more speed. We have just finished building a new house, so I'm updating this computer to hold me for a couple more years. Have to recover from house expenses. That's why I'd prefer to go with USB since I already have it and don't have to spend money on an ethernet card.

My husband does our banking online and a few other things. I know that when he sees the difference in speed, he'll love it. Since we live in a rural county, our phone lines are old and connecting and such is a major projects. And there is no such thing as any kind of decent speed.

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I feel better that I am making a good decision to change to broadband.

Old 10-13-03, 07:55 PM
Barbara,

Here's a link to TimeWarner's site in WI. It lists what all you can get with RR, Earthlink and several others. It seems that installation is free as is the modem. I didn't see whether or not they provided you with USB only or did they give you the ethernet card to go with the modem.

http://www.timewarnerwi.com/wsp/wspdisplay.asp?docid=76

Kay

Ps. I was mistaken, earthlink is offering $29.95 for the first few months, then it goes up to $41. If you're already an Earthlink customer, then you can sign up online for the broadband that way.

K.

Old 10-13-03, 09:20 PM
S
Originally posted by sir_jeffrence
If you do use USB, then make sure that you don't have a network adaptor cause you will have to disable it before using the modem through USB.
Sorry, simply not true. The computer will still recognize the modem and it will still work. Most USB modems will auto-install and setup themselves on the computer. The network card has nothing to do with the USB modem.

Old 10-13-03, 10:07 PM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
Sorry my bad. I think that I may not have been specific enough. What I meant was that I have had two experiences where I had to uninstall the network adaptor driver before the modem could be installed with USB. Somehow I doubt thats always the problem but it was in two cases. Next time I'll pull my foot out of my mouth before reply to a post

Old 10-14-03, 08:54 AM
S
I think what you may have experienced is the MAC address memory. The modem recognizes (and memorizes) the MAC address of the network card it is connected to (MAC addresses are unique to each network card or node.) Then, if you change cards or computers or try to use the USB connection of the modem, it doesn't work. About 3 or 4 years ago when I first started with cable service, I experienced this very same thing - took me forever to figure it out. At the time I was experimenting with different proxy setups vs. hubs and networks vs. other configurations - and every time I changed cards, the modem would stop working. When I would put it back on the original card, it worked.

It's fairly easy to solve, usually a reset of the modem will fix the problem (sometimes it takes a couple of resets), if not a power-cycle usually reconfigures it also.

Old 10-14-03, 11:15 AM
B
was reminded of another reason last night

Last night, I was reminded of another good reaason to dump dial-up. I caught part of the movie "You've Got Mail". I had forgotten just how annoying the modem connection sounds were. I cringed everytime one of the characters dialed in.

Also really annoying was that AOL voice!

Then there's the dropping of the line and not finding an open port.

Broadband is always connected. Downloading a large file is so quick. Keeping the anti-vrus updated is a snap.

Old 10-14-03, 11:46 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
BobF -- I won't miss the dial up noise! Didn't think of that. It's especially annoying when having trouble getting a connection and you hear it over and over again. The silence of broadband will be wonderful.

Updating virus or anything requires getting up very early in the morning or staying up late at night. It takes soooooo long. Hate to keep the phone tied up and if I'm going to pay extra for a second phone line, then it's better to get broadband.

Old 10-14-03, 03:08 PM
R
You can disable the speaker on your modem via software.

You can turn off the obnxious AOL "You've got mail." sound.

Why put up with something when it annoys you?

Be careful, Time Warner does not allow you to use your own modem in some areas of the country.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: