Add Remove

Old 10-13-03, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Add Remove

There are times I go into the add remove program properties and uninstall a program. What I need to know is! When the name of the program itself does not get removed out of the window. How can I remove it? I got Windows 98SE.

Thanks
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-03, 01:52 PM
C
What I have done in the past is to re-install the program, then uninstall it.

Old 10-13-03, 04:02 PM
tae
Open your registry and find the key below. Under this key will be a number of sub-keys, each representing an installed application.
To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be at least two values 'DisplayName' and 'UninstallString'. 'DisplayName' is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list and 'UninstallString' is the program used to uninstall the application.

To remove a program from the list you can simply highlight and delete the sub-key representing that program.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
Value Name: DisplayName, UninstallString

You can also do it with RegCleaner which will also remove all the left over registry entries from uninstalled programs (amongst other features).

Old 10-14-03, 10:56 AM
M
matm347
Visiting Guest
There is a useful program called Tweak VI(search @download.com), it helps you manipulate the registry and a few other little things, it has a tab for "add remove programs" where you can take it out directly, you can even remove the names of things you never want removed on accident.

The best thing is that it's free!

Old 10-14-03, 05:44 PM
tae