QuickTime Uninstall

Old 10-14-03, 09:55 PM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
QuickTime Uninstall

My wife downloaded a program that required QuickTime. Now when I view a movie (.mpg or .mpeg) file from the internet, it plays using QuickTime. If I save the movie to my hard drive, it plays using Windows Media Player as I want. I tried uninstalling QT, but it still is there. It looks like it has been installed (as a plug-in?) into IE. Is there anyway to get rid of it?

Thanks

Old 10-15-03, 06:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It seems that changing the file association would correct this problem. To do this:

# Open My Computer.
# On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click Options).
# Click the File Types tab.
# In the Registered file types list, click the specific file type: MPG, MPEG, and then click Advanced (or click Edit).
#In the dialogue box click Edit. In the box where the application to open the file is highlighted, delete the path to the program. #Click OK on the boxes all the way out.

Now when the file is presented, Windows should ask what program to use to open the file, so that you can select again from the popup list.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-03, 07:08 AM
R
The response Chris gave you is not valid for your situation. Chris gave you the correct response if media player was niot being used when you save the file first. However, you indicated that media player is being used when you save the file first. This means that your file associations are correct.

What you need to change are your web browser settings are not correct.

What web browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Netscape? A different one?

Old 10-15-03, 08:37 AM
C
So much for the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Old 10-15-03, 07:24 PM
tae
Search your hard disk for files called "Uninstall QuickTime". If you find it, run the uninstall program .
To successfully remove QuickTime for Windows, whether you use the uninstall program or the Add/Remove Programs control panel, the Control Panels window needs to be closed. This is because both a QuickTime, and QuickTime 32 control panel is considered active by Windows, whenever the Control Panels window is open. Close the Control Panels window after opening the Add/Remove Programs control panel or before running the Uninstall QuickTime application

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60342

You should have a folder in your program files folder called quicktime. In that folder, is also a folder called plug ins. That is where the browser plugin resides.

Old 10-15-03, 09:44 PM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Thanks, guys. I'm running IE, version 5.50...

I'd already run uninstall. Didn't get rid of the plugins.

I tried using Add/Remove (after closing the control panel window), but it didn'twork when I clicked on Uninstall. I got it to work only when I selected Uninstall Everything (in spite of the warning). It was the web link that TAE gave that let me know this was okay to do. All in all, what a pain this was. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: