Video Card

Old 10-15-03, 11:06 AM
MLarsen
Visiting Guest
Video Card

Long story short...upgraded the video card and software but recently decided to clean up the hard drive and reformat. When I boot up I receive "hardware error" and when I install the software for the driver...the screen is half the size and my computer continually freezes up. I don't have the video card info with me at the moment. Any glaring logic to this...suggestions? I use Windows Me. Thanks. If you need more info...please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-03, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
when exactly do you receive this "hardware error" message? Did you get windows Reinstalled OK?
If you have windows installed I would guess that you just need to boot into safe mode and install the correct video card driver. You will need to find out what Kind of video card you own, and download the drivers from the manufacturers website.

Old 10-15-03, 08:56 PM
tae
ok, so you installed a different video card? or just upgraded the drivers? When you reformatted(total reformat or just reinstall of windows?) what did you use to install os. Was it a disk from the computer manufacturer or a stand alone copy of me? Did you make sure your me was fully upgraded with service packs? Sounds like the computer isn't recognizing the video card and/or drivers from boot. Can you boot to safemode?

Old 10-16-03, 04:10 AM
was previous video integrated?

One potential problems is the system thinks the old video card is still there. This is quite common when the old video "card" was integrated into the mb. You need to "remove" the old video.

There was probably a single instruction line that you omitted on the reinstall.

Old 10-16-03, 06:37 AM
MLarsen
Visiting Guest
BOBF

ISSUE: How do I delete the old drivers?

Yes...I believe you are correct. When I boot the computer, and prior to Windows Me...The boot sequence stops and I get a message "Hardware error detected." Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. I hit F2 and get prompted for a Password!! This is after I formatted the hard drive and I did not install a password. I usually hit F2 to continue and continually have the CPU freeze up on me. Eventually, I was able to load the upgraded drivers. I did not delete the old ones because I could not find where they were. The instruction said "go to control panel" and "Add / remove programs." Saw nothing to indicate VGA drivers. (I have a Sony VAIO, BTW) I'm very frustrated at this point. Also, Should I start over and reformat? Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-16-03, 06:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't need to delete the old drivers, you need to disable the old video card (IF it's an integrated card.) To do this, you'll have to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video card - optionally, you may have to disable it on the board with a jumper.

We'll probably need more info on the computer model # to be of any more help.

Old 10-16-03, 07:06 AM
MLarsen
Visiting Guest
Video Card

The old video card was disabled and old drivers removed...everything was working fine...until I reformatted. Naturally, when I reinstalled the software with the Sony disc, it reinstalled the old drivers. I can't figure out where and how to delete the old drivers so I can reinstall the upgraded drivers.