Operating System seems unstable

Old 10-15-03, 02:02 PM
Caper
Visiting Guest
Operating System seems unstable

I have an A Open, PIII Celeron, AX34-U motherboard, 128meg ram, running Windows XP. Last nite while running Autocad 2000 the start menu, program menu, as well as some property menus were opening up all over the screen. Autocad locked up so I had to shut the task down. I rebooted and it did the same thing after a minute or two. This computer was not hooked up to the internet, it was used for school assignments only. Norton Antivirus didn't pick anything up. within the past 7 months, the hardrive and the powersupply went. I am thinking the harddrive may be on the way out again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-03, 06:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the computer is running normally, then starts to spawn new windows and menus. I would look for a virus or trojan.

You did not say it had never been on the internet. Viruses and such can come from infected files on floppies as well in e-mail and evil web pages.

Is the XP installation current, anti-virus current, all drivers current? One new virus does not need a medium such as e-mail, it rides in on port 137 if it is open to the internet.

I would suspect hard drive problems if SMART indicates one, you hear the hard drive thrashing, you get errors loading files that should be good, or you get an error loading the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-03, 07:40 PM
tae
I too would start by looking for a virus. there are many that will infect your office products like excel and word. Called macro viruses, some are virtually undetectable unless you note there routine/changes they make. they can also be set to only trigger on certain days, like the 14th. Can you boot into safemode? try it and see what happens. Also, update antivirus, and scan from safemode.

Old 10-15-03, 08:03 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Is there any software recently installed? May want to uninstall it if not absolutely needed,,, then again your system ain't running... what's to lose? Use SAFE MODE (F8 key just at end of POST) to Add/Remove software.
How many programs load at start-up? Using the default values when installing software? (Do you REALLY need Bonzi Buddy running at Startup? Sorry, trying to be funny...)

Have good airflow for the case? No dust plugging vents? Nothing plugged into the electrical circuit that makes spikes (blender, heater, etc.)?
Defragged lately? Freespace available?
Just a few quick thoughts on the limited info available.

As was recommended earlier, do make sure your AV software is up to date.

hope your PC starts to behave.

Old 10-16-03, 02:19 AM
Caper
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replys, there are over 20G of harddrive space available on a 40 G harddrive, it has been at least 5 months since it was hooked up to the internet and it was for just 15 minutes on dialup and never reconnected. The last program installed was autocad 2000and that was about 3 months ago and it worked fine up until the other day.

Old 10-16-03, 04:02 AM
B
school assignments?

Was any media of any kind put into the floppy and/or CD-ROM or other drives? Even if it was to copy an assignment?

It doesn't take much for a virus to infect your computer. You do not need to be connected to the web.

Since it seems to be only autocad, I'd re-install that and see what happens.

And update your AV. Unless You never ever transfer anything to/from your computer, it is susceptible to a virus.

Old 10-16-03, 03:48 PM
Caper
Visiting Guest
The computeres aren't networked and we rarely take files from our other system. I also scanned the floppy with my other computer and it is it is clean. I brought it in to the repair shop because I am in university full time and don't have the time right now to play with it. I'll be sure to let ya'll know what the problem was in case someone has a similar incident. Thanks for all the replys.

Old 10-17-03, 10:10 AM
Celeron with 128MB and Win XP running Autocad? The PC's under powered and is likely paging constantly, putting stress on the hard drive. Simple first, start by running scandisk and defrag (may have to run multiple times in a row). Then, consider adding at least 128MB more of memory.

Good luck!

Doug M.

Old 10-17-03, 03:18 PM
Caper
Visiting Guest
The computer tech called me this afternoon and told me he checked the computer over and it was running fine. He asked me to bring in the keyboard and mouse because he figured that is where my problem is. After he hung up I swapped the mouse and keyboard over on this computer and guess what? It started behaving the same way. I removed the mouse and still had the problem. Ended up being the keyboard. I had absolutely no control over the computer. Some keys must be shorted out.

Old 10-17-03, 03:51 PM
C
Thank goodness keyboards and mice are cheap. I did not think about that. I have worn out several of both over the years. Whenever they act up, I just pitch them. At least it will be a cheap fix. Plus, you now know about a unique problem you can solve for others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: