Win 98 Missing DMDOS.EXE

Old 10-16-03, 08:42 AM
chiefyeyed
Visiting Guest
Win 98 Missing DMDOS.EXE

My wife is Running Windows 98 on her home PC. Lately, whenever she boots up her pc, she gets an error message saying DMDOS.EXE is missing. What does the executable do and how crucial is it to ahve ths resolved? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-03, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Win 98 machine does not have that file on it.

From researching, I have found many references to DM-DOS (DMDOS) as a part of Nuts and Bolts from McAfee. DM-DOS, disk manager is apparently a disk utility similar in many ways to scandisk. I have found references where this program was substituted for scandisk to evaluate disks after an unclean shutdown.

It may be that her computer has some variation of this utility from McAfee. This variation may require DM-DOS.exe. As I understand, the Nuts and Bolts utilities had this as a separate option.

If she has a McAfee product on her computer and it is supposed to perform some task at approximately the same time as this error occurs, it may be that re-installing this utility will restore the needed file. It may be that McAfee anti-virus may use this. McAfee anti-virus is popular among windows users. She may have it on her machine.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-03, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check your autoexec.bat file for a reference to this utility program. If you no longer have the program you can delete or REMark out the entry. If you do have the program somewhere on your hard disk then you can modify the entry in autoexec,bat to point to the correct location of the program, or move the program to the location indicated in the autoexec file.