Mandrake 9.1 Linux and Ximian Evolution help?

Old 10-17-03, 04:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mandrake 9.1 Linux and Ximian Evolution help?

First let me start off by saying I am a complete Linux n00b. I recently started using Mandrake Linux 9.1 as a sort of hobby, just to see what all the hype is about. So far I'm not real impressed, but that may be because I don't really know what I'm doing.

First problem: I can seem to get Linux to boot directly to Gnome instead of KDE. I have changed the set-up on "control center" several times but it alway goes to KDE first. The other odd thing is that once I logout of KED, Gnome automatically runs so I have to log out it too if I want to reboot the computer (usually to run W2K).

Second problem: I can't seem to get Ximian Evolution 1.2.2 to send an email to "contact list." I created a list, opened a new email, selected "to" and picked the contact list, it shows up in the "to" window, but when I send it I get an error message: "you must specify recipiants in order to send this message." Isn't that what the contact list is ?

Thanks for any help.

Ross

Old 10-17-03, 04:26 AM
Ok, I fixed the Evolution contact list problem. I updated the software to 1.4. I like this program. It is VERY similar to Outlook. The install was a breeze, they have a wizard on their website that downloads and installs itself. Very nice.

Old 10-17-03, 07:07 AM
raharold,

When you log out, then log back in choose gnome as your session instead of KDE. Then, when you log out again, make sure to check the box at the top of gnome's log out screen is checked to "save these settings" or 'save this session'. Can't remember which it is now. Should have written it down.

If this doesn't help, please post back. I may have some configurations that are different from yours.

I like Evolution since it is so much like Outlook. However, since I'm a homemaker it has more than I need. Upgrading to the version you did solved many problems I was having as well. I am currently testing out the new version Thunderbird email program, and Firebird browser. So far so good LOL.

I am eager to see what in the 9.2 version. I have the opporunity to download a copy, but can't get their new download program that I must use configured correctly. Guess I'll have to wait until its released to the general public before I can test it.

I too am new to Linux (Feb 2003).

Kay

Old 10-17-03, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your help. Seems like I did that before but I can't remember. Right now I'm just clicking an selecting all kinds of stuff to see what happens. I don't depend on it for anything yet so if I completely screw it up I can allways wipe and reload .

IMO, Linux is finally getting to where novices like myself can use it proficiently without having to know all those cryptic Linux (Unix) commands. It's really nice to have a real alternative to Windows on the PC.

Yeah, Evolution and Outlook really have more than I need at home but it's nice to have the same/similar interface at work AND at home. Now if I could gust get my Palm to synch with it, I'd be hooked up.

I saw that Mandrake has 9.2 for download on their website although it's not the ISO images. The ISO images are supposed to be available by the end of October. I'll probably wait 'till then.

Have you tried wine? Does it work OK?

Ross

Old 10-17-03, 12:02 PM
C
Palm
Jpilot Gnome

Old 10-17-03, 12:29 PM
What type Palm are you using? I connect great with my Palm xE through Jpilot, but never could get Evolution to sync. I honestly didn't try too terribly hard with it since I mainly needed addresses and memos updated. As a business person, or someone with a lot of activities during the day I could understand the need to have sync-ability with Evolution. I used either kpilot or jpilot to sync. I discovered that I had to sync first with Kpilot, before jpilot would ever work for me. Just one of my personal glitches I'm sure

I wish now that I still had my Palm or at least checked for one better suited for myself. I purchased a Treo90 at a great price, but don't like it. I prefer using graffiti to write, and this only has a thumb-keypad. It also freezes up the Treo when I try to sync. It appears that others are fixing that by rewriting parts of their kernel, but I'm not brave enough to mess with the kernel! It is also a usb connection and I'm not too swift with those right now either.

I had hoped to download the 9.2 but as I said, can't get the download program you have to install to work. Its a bittorent deal. Apparently I don't have the correct lib progs installed and haven't searched for them. I will wait until I can download the ISO's, too. I did contribute this year to Mandrake so I can get it, just my ignorance won't allow it LOL.

One feature of Thunderbird (email) that I don't like is that I cannot link out of email links to a browser. I cannot find any configuration settings to change that. I do enjoy the lightness of the email program, and also like simplicity of Firebird (browser).

Wine only works with certain programs. I think its geared more toward some games and also office type applications. I didn't have much luck with it and the programs that I run so I didn't reinstall it the last time I installed Linux on this machine.

Kay

Chris: What program do you use to run Windows programs on Linux? You mentioned that you had good luck with it.

K.

Old 10-17-03, 02:34 PM
C
I use Win4Lin. It creates an artificial Windows environment for running windows 98. See www.netraverse.com

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-03, 05:18 PM
I said pilot but I'm actually using a Handspring Visor. I'm sure it's very similar to the Treo. I have had some luck with Kpilot but it doesn't sync my tasks and memos and only part of each address. I'll have to give Jpilot a shot.

Another question:

Is it possible to read my Win2K (NTFS) partition from Linux? It would be nice to read MS Office documents directly from it.

Ross

Old 10-17-03, 05:55 PM
Well, I spoke too soon. Evolution 1.4 synchs perfectly (as far as I can tell) with my Visor. I'm starting to be convinced .

Old 10-17-03, 09:03 PM
C
Is it possible to read my Win2K (NTFS) partition from Linux? It would be nice to read MS Office documents directly from it
Here is a source of an RPM.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html

There is a lot of work being done and completed on this. Take a browse.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-03, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the link! I'm using Mandrake Linux. I've been told that one should only use RPM's compiled specifically for a certain Linux package. Is this true?

Using your search I didn't find anything specifically for Mandrake but I did find USFD. Intresting but $70 is a little steep.

Ross

* Edited - Quotes are not always necessary *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 10-19-03 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-18-03, 05:31 AM
C
I tend to run anything that interests me and I can get to compile.

The RPMs for mandrake are sometimes different, they are all signed. GNUGPG signatures.
Here are some characteristics of RPM to consider:

If the installation fails due to a dependency not being met, you will receive an error message and the installation will fail. No harm done. No pieces of files left all over the place.

If you resolve the dependencies, then install, everything will be ok.

Out of the box, most RPM for Redhat will install successfully on Mandrake.

Unlike Windows, there is no registry for strange installations to create problems by changing existing files and settings.

If you decide to uninstall through the RPM, it will clean up everything that was installed when you do.

RPM not for mandrake may not place an entry for themselves in the start menu. You can always run them from the command line or make a shortcut on the desktop to the file.

I have been running Liunx for several years. I install and run any thing that interests me. Sometimes I have to chase down files to resolve dependencies to get things to run.

Unlike Windows, Linux is hard to hurt. One thing to remember, there is no 'undelete' in Linux. Gone is gone.

Even if you manage to mangle everything, you can rescue the installation from the first installation cd and it will fix itself. I think that kaybyrd will agree that Linux is pretty bullet proof.

Having said all that, I encourage you to poke around, play with this and that, try everything. You won't hurt it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-03, 07:04 AM
I like it because I can give each other kids' their own desktop, set permissions for what they can and cannot do (individually), they can change backgrounds, font sizes, video displays...even goof around and mess up 'their end' of a program. However, when I log into my desktop no problems LOL.

It has given Ian, my youngest not so computerized child, a chance to become comfortable with using a computer. I 'm not paranoid about them crashing it and me having to figure out how to fix it so I can scan this pic or doc, or print this invoice etc.

Oh, and using the RedHat rpms works fine. Sometimes you have to locate the missing files that an rpm needs, but that can be done easily with a google search <linux> ( http://www.google.com/linux ) I use that so often that its set to my home page.

Kay

Old 10-19-03, 05:00 AM
You guys are SO much help, I really appreciate it.

Another question:

I set up my wife her own account. The problem is, we need to share the same email account. When I log into her account, Evolution does not show up in the menu. I think the problem may have to do with the fact that I installed Evolution in my user home directory. Do I just need to reinstall the program in root or can I just move it there somehow?

Thanks again,

Ross

Old 10-19-03, 07:38 AM
If you only have one email address for the both of you, and then you will want all the information to stay within the same evolution folder (yours since it was first). This way she won't download emails into her Evolution home folder, and then you not be able to see them when you load your Evolution home folder. I hope that made sense.

Chris or someone more comfortable with Linux may be able to walk you through how to set up folder sharing in the different home directories. I know that we can browse through other user's home directories but not sure how to set permissions to actually run a program from your login, yet save it to your login as well.

It may be as simple as browsing through your home folder while logged in as your wife. Then create an application link to evolution in your usr home. I know that will run evolution from her login (if you've set the permissions to share 'your' evolution) but not sure about where it will download and store emails.

Kay

Old 10-19-03, 09:14 AM
C
Installing programs for multiple users

Programs that commonly have multiple users, such as: browsers and office suites, should be installed as root in the default location. When installing such from the control center, accepting the default installation will usually achieve this goal.

When you install a program in your $home directory, no one else can use the program, because they cannot invoke the executable without having the appropriate permission.

In the case of Evolution, each user can then create his own account when spawning the centrally installed program.

These programs usually detect the available accounts, and place files in the $HOME directory for starting the program. In this way, there is a main installation of the program that runs when invoked by the user, but it creates and manipulates files for the user alone. These files belonging to the user reside in the $HOME directory. These files are not available to others because they lack the permissions to open the files. This prevents having to install multiple instances of the program and all the space required for that installation, while making the functions of the program available for anyone on the system.

For example, when you invoke Mozilla, the path to the file /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla will start the program, but uses your preferences, settings, and files in your $HOME directory for storing mail, web pages. If these don't exist the first time that you run the program, it creates them for you.

If you will uninstall Evolution, it will uninstall everything except the personal files in your directory. Your having installed it in your $home directory will necessitate uninstalling it from there. Then go to the control panel and install the standard installation of Evolution. You can start if from the start menu or command line or make an icon to the executable, and enjoy your versions of it. When your wife logs in, she can do likewise and have her own, separate files for preferences, e-mail, and the like.

Your wife has her own user account and shares the same e-mail account. Does she have her own e-mail address? If not, your ISP often will afford you more than one e-mail accout for ISP account. I think that Earthlink will provide five per account. Trying to share the same e-mail address is akin to sharing a toothbrush, IMHO.

As far as having sharing with her user account and yours for files, that is messier than it should be when you can have clean file arrangements.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-03, 09:46 AM
Sharing an email account does seem to pose a problem. If one user opens the email account and it retrieves the emails, then when another user logs in, and retrieves emails its only going to retrieve what's new at the time.

The first user can't access emails that may really be for them, but downloaded to the second users $home files and vice versa.

If linked to Evolution actually installed within the first user's $home directory (with proper permissions) could the second user load Evolution from the first users $home and still store all retrieved emails and copies of sent emails in the first users $home evolution? Or would it by nature create a file in the second user's $home for storage only?

Being the main computer user in this home, and also having individual email accounts for each household member I haven't encountered this before.

Kay

Old 10-19-03, 10:06 AM
C
You could change the files once Evolution is installed with the proper permissions set and have the mail store in one directory: $home1 for instance and user two would have separate files for everything. Just user2's mail would be a link that pointed to the mail file in user1's home directory.

This may take a little fiddling, but uninstall the local version of Evolution and install a system default version. Then each user runs the program and the individual files are set up.

File sharing may be easier: Go back to the user1 and open $home in Konqueror, right-click on the file where the mail is stored under evolution and select properties then file sharing and set up sharing from here. Then user2 could change where Evolution stores mail to point straight to this file without linking involved. User2 should remember that the "evolution/mail' folder in $home2 is not used.

An alternative way to do this would be to change the permissions of the mail folder to a group that included both uses and make sure the permissions are set properly. With the file belonging to the newly created group USER1&2 and the two users belonging to the group USER1&2 and permissions set for the group to r,w,x; you could achieve the same thing in a different way.

There is probably another way to do this. There seems to be no limit to the different ways to do things with Linux.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-03, 07:53 AM
I finally got it to work. I didn't realize that even if you are logged in as root that if you initiate the install from your user directory that Evolution would auto install in that directory. I had assumed it was installing at root such that all users have access to it. But anyway, trial and error I got it to work.

Ross

Old 10-20-03, 07:26 PM
C
Linux program installation

Unless you have something specific in mind, it works better to install programs for Mandrake and others through the Control Center. This way you get a default installation. Not that it matters much, but it makes tweaking and working with the programs more direct. It will help you until you are a bit more comfortable with Linux.

You can install them anywhere that you want, actually. The executable will run from anywhere that the permissions work.

We all start at the beginning of the learning curve.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-03, 04:00 AM
The problem is that Evolution 1.4 did not show up in control center. Is there some way to get it to show up? What directory are programs like this usually installed? My ignorance is shining brightly now

Old 10-21-03, 05:24 AM
raharold

the way I upgraded my evolution was using a program called Red-Carpet. You can download it from http://www.ximian.com (also the maker of evolution).

you can choose the channels you wish to update, but don't choose red carpets update. No sooner than you install it, it will want to update red carpet. Then it will become unusable - well, it did for me, all 3 times I uninstalled/reinstalled and allowed it to update itself (redcarpets' program). You can capture your updates that way, but as Chris said, its best to do it through Mdk control panel to get the correct version and signatures for what you're using.

I'm using RedCarpet for updates right now since I'm running RedHat (temporarily I'm sure) and there isn't an update option that is free for long with RedHat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: