self inflicted hard drive woes

Old 10-19-03, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
self inflicted hard drive woes

Not sure how I've managed this, but then again its me where talking about.

I have somehow managed, through fdisk, the assign an unwanted partition on my 80g (Western Digital) drive as drive letter C. My 4g (Samsung) is the one that is suppose to be drive C since its the original drive and housed Windows. I run Linux on the 80g.

I've tried using Western Digitals software to help me, but it isn't. I've tried to figure out the fdisk deal since its what's gotten me into this fix to start with.

I run into problems like not being able to delete extended dos areas because there is a logical drive assigned, but can't delete the logical drive while an extended dos partition exists. And...I get confused as to which drive its referring to when I'm working in fdisk. At one point it wouldn't even recognize the 4g drive since I somehow manage to remove the MBR off it.

Should I totally wiped out and remove the 80g and leave in the 4 g drive and start from there? Installing Windows on that drive after hopefully doing a correct reformat on it. Then reinstall the 80g again. Would this clear up this mess or make it worse? Or...is there an easier way to remedy this huge mistake I've made.

Thanks,

Kay

Old 10-19-03, 09:41 AM
C
Hard drive abusers recovery program

Fdisk does not assign drive letters, Windows does. These are usually assigned in the order in which the drives are detected at boot up.

Fdisk partitions, formats, and makes a partition active.

The 4G drive needs to be detected first. If it not coming up as C:, then there is another windows partition that is being detected first. Even if there were a half dozen Linux drives physically first, the first Windows drive detected would be C: in Windows.

Try this: with only the 4G drive in the machine, set to master, boot and see what happens. If it won't boot, use a Win98 rescue disk to boot and run fdisk /MBR to repair the MBR. It should boot now to the 4G drive a C:. (You can simply unplug the 40 wire IDE cable from the drive to 'remove' it)

Then install the 80G as the slave drive. Now, boot and see what you have. If there is a windows partition on the 80G drive, it should show up as D:.

You should be able now to boot straight to Windows on C:. With that working, put your Linux CD1 install disk in the CD drive and boot from the CD.

"If you need to rescue your existing Mandrake Linux system, insert your Installation CDROM (or any relevant boot floppy), press [F1] at Mandrake Linux welcome screen, then type rescue at the prompt."

You can re-install the bootloader GRUB or LILO, whichever one you use. Once this is done you will have the boot menu that you have had in the past to choose which OS to boot.

Now you will boot from the 4G drive, choose from the bootloader menu, and go from there to Windows or Linux.

If this works and you still have a partition on the 80G that is FAT 32 and you want to get rid of it, let me know.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-03, 09:54 AM
Whew, thanks.

I was afraid that I was going to make matters worse LOL.

I think I was working with the wrong drive when I assigned the letter. Not paying attention AND not really knowing what I was doing.

I simply need Windows right now to run my scanner. Its a bother to have to unhook the printer from the desktop and connect it and the scanner to the laptop. I basically use the scanner right now for "photocopying" since I haven't been to play around with its other uses.

I will reinstall Mdk after I finish with the 4gig drive since I'm currently playing around with RedHat on here. I like it, other than I can't determine where things are moutned, etc. I don't think its as user friendly as Mdk.

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: