IP Addresses shown publicly

Old 10-21-03, 07:48 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IP Addresses shown publicly

I notice that the forums are publicly posting IP addresses now. Why is this necessary?

Old 10-22-03, 03:32 PM
las
Visiting Guest
No one can do nothing thou?

No one could send a email to that address
It wouldn't bring up a web site If you haven't got one?But yes I guess It Is a address..they know were It's coming from

Old 10-22-03, 04:55 PM
C
Even if it logged and shown, if it changes, no one can do much with it unless they want to legally get the ISP involved in the issue. You can put my address in your browser and go to my webserver, until the DHCP changes it. Then nothing, unless you use the URL which will resolve via DNS, no matter what the address has changed to.

So unless you have a static address, it does not mean much to the typical user.

Old 10-22-03, 04:57 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This was the exact, quoted explanation given by the Admin:

Why not?
We have kept them hidden, but turned them on exposed whenever we felt it may be needed for security purposes. Some moderators have questioned why certain members have been in the control panel for an extended period of time. This gives the ability to see if the connection is static, like a cable modem left on, or a repetitive dialup. Not that that helps much, but if we must block members from the boards, IP's are the easiest way to go.
The point is simple - it doesn't hurt to have them on, it helps us as Mods.

With a repetitive dialup connection, the IP address would change frequently. With Cable or DSL, the IP stays fairly static (changing from time-to-time, but not daily as dialup does.) As mentioned, "Not that that helps much" - and I myself am not sure why that's helpful, but that's the reason

Old 10-22-03, 05:24 PM
R
You cannot really tell anything from an IP address, and displaying them does more harm than good.

Anybody wanting to change their IP address can go to any number of web sites and post via an anonymous IP address. Or they can simpy use a dial up ISP (there are several free ones out there) to access the Internet.

Multiple people can and do have the same IP address. All that is visible to the outside world is the real Internet IP address. When cable and DSL modems connected to routers, every computer behind the router seems to have the same IP address. When I post from work, it could be any of the people I worm with, or me, yoiu cannot tell from the IP address. Banning my work IP address would actually ban a large number of people.

There is no reason to post IP addresses, but in the long run, it doesn't hurt much to do so.

Old 10-28-03, 08:25 AM
K
Thanks to whoever changed it back.

Old 10-28-03, 10:56 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Again, here's the explanation given by Admin:

IP Addresses are now hidden from members and guests

Thanks to all Moderators who PMed me. We have made a software change on IP Numbers. They are now only visable to Moderators and Administrators - that should solve any real or imagined problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: