system shutdown

Old 10-22-03, 07:55 PM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy system shutdown

Help I'm trying to help my sister fix her computer she is running windows XP (which I'm not real familar with) She can not reboot because before everything can load up, the shutdown system message appears. It is just a constant thing on, off on, off. I was told that it was probably infected with the blaster worm so the mailed me a floppy (her internet provider) with the FixBlast.exe. One problem is that I cannot get the computer to load up before it shuts back down. So the tech walked me through starting up in safe mode and I was then able to run the fix. But when it was done it said that the worm was not located on this computer. So now they tell me that it must be another worm called Welchia. Can you point me in the right direction in getting this worm out of her computer All we did when he walked me through safe mode was go to run the floppy. If it does have the blaster worm, why did it not find it and fix it . (or so thats what the tech led me to beleive it would do. run and fix just that simple) but that did not happen. Help!
Sandy

Old 10-22-03, 08:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is Symantec's take on this problem and how to repair it.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...chia.worm.html

If the computer still will not start properly, the MSBlaster infection may still be present. The welchia creates an unstable computer sometimes through its attempt to remove the MSBlaster infection. This may be one of those.

Use of current anti-virus programs and scanning incoming files can help prevent this sort of thing.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-03, 08:50 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It doesn't have to be a worm. It could be alot of things.Are there any error messages? Go here to see a list of ways to try to get it working, including system restore,last known good configuration, and operating system in place upgrade, among others.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041#2

Old 10-23-03, 08:47 AM
las
Visiting Guest
many people same problem?

Who Is to blame "M" you guessed It
meanwhile the rich get richer & the poor get poorer

Old 10-23-03, 08:50 AM
las
Visiting Guest
so how Is It working now?

Can you work with the computer after coming out of safe mode?

Old 10-25-03, 08:28 PM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up problem fixed

Thanks everyone. It turned out my sisters computer was infected with the W32Wilchia Worm. Don't know why Nortons would not detect the worm although I made sure it was updated. But anyhow I ran the fix and it said it was infected with the Wilchia and now it was completely off her computer.
Sandy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: