Continuously reboots

Old 10-24-03, 01:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Continuously reboots

Bought a Dell 8300. Can't get the darn thing to shut down properly. Everytime I click on "shut down", the system reboots itself. Have made sure that my "shut down" option is chosen (versus "restart" or "standby"). So the only way I can get it to shut down "properly" is to sit there and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds while the machine powers down, which is a pain in the butt. Dell support suggests reinstalling Windows XP, which I'm reluctant to do. They say it's an "OS" problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....

Old 10-24-03, 02:30 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have any stop or error messages? In your device manager, is there anything with a problem? Are you running roxio?....

By default, XP is configured that when a system failure is encountered the system automatically restarts. This behavior may at times be desirable, especially if a system is unattended and and a reboot is necessary to restore a system to operation. Unfortunately, it also makes it very difficult if not impossible for a user to read the messages that are presented that may provide clues to a shutdown problem. To prevent the system from automatically restarting:

Right click [My Computer] click [Properties] and select [Advanced] tab.
Click the [Settings] button in the [Startup and Recovery] section.
Remove the checkmark from [Automatically Restart] in [System Failure] section.

Or from microsoft knowledgebase:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q311806

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: