how to load windows

Old 10-27-03, 03:58 PM
yagermichael
Visiting Guest
how to load windows

i erased something in my computer files i thought i would not need instead it was something i needed to start windows. how can i reload windows 98? mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-03, 04:49 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have a windows 98 cd or floppy disks? Maybe a restore disk? A boot disk? Was there a win98 folder on the hard drive(that would contain the os cab files)?Do you know where or what you deleted?

Old 10-27-03, 05:44 PM
If your computer will boot from the CD-ROM, place the Windows 98 install disc in the CD-ROM drive and boot your computer. Choose Install Windows 98. If it complains that Windows 98 is already installed, select install. If the installation will run, it will restore all your needed files. It will not ordinarily bother data files. This will get your computer back up and running. You will need to re-install any Windows98 update.

If not, the use the Windows 98 rescue disk to boot your computer with CD-ROM support. When the A:\> prompt appears, place the Windows 98 installation CD in the CD drive, type E:\setup. This should run the installation from the CD-ROM. This will restore your windows installation.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-03, 06:26 PM
yagermichael
Visiting Guest
i have no idea what i deleted and have no backups i have the original disk and code when i install it it does nothing

Old 10-27-03, 06:34 PM
yagermichael
Visiting Guest
i have this computer can i burn a disk from info on the web and load it on my old computer? can i use prompt commands?

Last edited by SafeWatch; 10-27-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-27-03, 07:06 PM
i have the original disk and code
This would be the Windows 98 installation disk?

when i install it it does nothing
Can you be more specific? For those of us who work with this all the time, more information is a big help.

What are you doing? Go through the steps for us. There is more than one way to re-install the operating system. Two methods were covered earlier.

can i burn a disk from info on the web and load it on my old computer?
If you have the Windows 98 installation disk, this is all you need. The Windows 98 rescue disk will enable you to boot the computer, no matter what.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-03, 07:49 PM
simpson
Visiting Guest
This sounds just like the same problem I experienced a couple of weeks ago. Had absolute h***. If you are still having problems let me know. I don't want to give advice unless someone here more experienced will offer opinion.
My understanding is that your computer will not boot up properly and you cannot get to windows. Also that your computer will not read from your cd. If this is correct I may be able to offer some advice .

Last edited by simpson; 11-02-03 at 08:54 PM.