dvd-rom

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-03, 01:14 PM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd-rom

I have a dvd-rom drive and a cd-rom drive in my computer. Win 98 2nd ed. I have no problem playing the cd-rom but cannot get the dvd to work. I upgraded to a new hard drive recently. When I go to the dvd drive it says what is on the disk but will not play it. What do I need to do to get it to play? Step to step please.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-03, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did the dvd-rom ever work in this computer?

What is the speed of the computer? Many older computers cannot handle DVDs due to speed issues.

Can your graphics card support a dvd-rom drive? Many older computer cannot handle DVDs due to their graphics card.

What does the hard drive upgrade have to do with anything? This goes back to my first question. Did the dvd-rom drive work before the ahrd drive upgrade?

What software are you trying to use to play the DVDs?

You can't expect help until you lay out the cards.

Old 10-28-03, 01:47 PM
tae
The first question i would ask is what software player program are you using for the dvd's? Most software requires anywhere from p2 350 mhz to p3 500 mhz, with a minimum of 64 meg memory, on win98se. You must have a software player. Maybe you forgot to add the program when you installed the new drive?

Let us know the speed of your computer,type of dvd,how much memory,type of video, etc. The more info we have , the better we can help you.

Old 10-28-03, 01:52 PM
my first question is: does the dvd-rom read normal CDs?

Old 10-28-03, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you're missing the decoder - as tae mentioned, maybe you forgot to reinstall it?

Old 10-28-03, 02:54 PM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd-rom

thanks for the quick replys:

The dvd-rom will play audio cds
When I got the computer it played dvds automatically.
I have added a cd-rw drive and maybe that has something to do with it?
Also when I access the drive it has the correct name but my choices are audio_ts and video_ts help!

Old 10-28-03, 03:15 PM
What do you mean, "when I access the drive ... the choices are ..."

What happens when you insert the DVD and then manually start your DVD software?

Old 10-28-03, 03:43 PM
tae
those are the dvd folders. You must have "special" software in order to play it.You can't just look at it with windows explorer and click on something. You need a software player like powerdvd or windvd.
There are some freeware/shareware players available. One is here:
http://www.cliprex.com/index.php?opt...y&filecatid=10

But there are more out there.

Make sure that you have at least directX 8:
You can obtain the latest version of Directx from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/directx

Old 10-29-03, 01:56 PM
railroadcar
Visiting Guest
dvd player

I'm a novice so please bear with me. What is a decoder? and how do I install it? How do I manually start up the dvd?
Thanx

Old 10-29-03, 04:01 PM
tae
Ok...dont get confused. The decoder is the software player. It is a special software used to "decode" the compression algorithm of the dvd. It is different from a standard cd. To get an idea, a regular cd holds 800 meg of info, while a dvd will hold 4.7 gig of info. They use a different compression format. So, you will need to get and install a decoder(dvd software player) in order for you to view a dvd. My post above mentions 2, and has a link to another one, which is free to download. Once the software is installed, you should be able to just put in a dvd and it will start playing. Sometimes it won't though, and you have to manually start the dvd software, just as if you were starting any other program, by clicking on the icon or link or program file. If you choose to download one from the net, after you get it downloaded, you should just have to click on it(maybe unzip it first) and it will install itself. Using the default options are usually best(it will tell you what it's doing), so just go with it. Then when it's done installing, you will either have an icon on your desktop, or it will be listed in your "start/programs menu. You may have to restart the computer once it's done installing. Read any instruction manual that comes with it before using.

Old 10-29-03, 05:05 PM
However, you mentioned that it used to play automatically. This means that you already have software on your PC.

All you need to do is start this software manually. Better yet, find the CD that it was installed from and re-install it. This way it will set itself to automatically play DVDs when they are inserted.

By the way, my guess is that when you installed the CD-RW drive, you ended up reassigning drive letters, and your DVD drive now has a different drive letter. This is why your DVDs don't play automatically.

Old 10-29-03, 05:45 PM
tae
racraft: the first post also said that a new hard drive upgrade was done. So, lets see if there was any software installed then. Yes, a change in drive letters will make the path change also, but usually, the added equipment will just add a letter, not change what was already installed(depending on how it was installed).
I guess another question would be :... when you did the hard drive upgrade, did you just add another drive, or change out the old, and if the latter, was the old drive ghosted on, or was the new drive formatted and the operating system installed?A new hard drive added would change the letter assignment(probably).

Old 10-30-03, 02:09 PM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd-rom

Thanks for all the replys. If I go to
" properties" it says that " type is cd-rom not dvd-rom.
I had a cd-rw installed by Compusa and I don't think that the dvd has worked since them. Could they have screwed it up? And yes the drive #s were changed. Could the cable be connected wrong?
Thanks to all

Old 10-30-03, 03:16 PM
tae
how many drives do you show? you should ahve a c drive, and then 2 other drives,like d and e or maybe m and n. One should be your cdrw and the other your dvd. If one is not showing up, then it's probably not hooked up right/at all.

Old 10-30-03, 06:02 PM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd-rom

I have the following drives a-c- d which is the cds-rw e which is the zip drive and lastly f which is the dvd drive. when I go to properties on f drive it gives the name of the dvd and says it has 3.24 gigs.
thanks

Old 10-30-03, 08:31 PM
tae
1. Are you sure you are putting dvd in right player?
2. Are you sure it's a dvd player?
3.What brand/model is it?(dvd player)
4.What software are you using to play it?
5.In your system properties device manager what does it show?(start/settings/control panel/system/device manager)
6. have you looked at your bios to see if they are all recognized right?

Old 11-01-03, 02:38 PM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd-rom

Yes I'm sure that it is a dvd as I used to play dvds in it.
when I go to device manager it says I have a Mat****a dvd-rom SR-8582. And that it is working properly. I don't know how to look in bios.
Thanks

Old 11-01-03, 06:55 PM
tae
Still the important question: What software are you using to play the DVD? If you go to start/programs, there should be a listing for some DVD player(or maybe on the desktop). Something like windvd or power DVD or something similar, as noted previously. If nothing is listed, you HAVE to have it. Your model is discontinued, but should have driver support built into the OS. There is a driver for win98 for the SR-8581 that also supports your model. You may need it:
http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/en/down/index.html
but i still think it's your player(or lack of one). Let me say it one more time: You absolutely need/have to have a software player.

Old 11-07-03, 07:24 AM
pfarnham
Visiting Guest
dvd rom

Thanks for all the replys. I appreciate it. The dvd is old and I am going to get a new computer I guess as mine is 5 years old. I bought from Gateway so I called them not much help as I could not understand her english. Its a shame that we have to go offshore to get answers.

Closed Thread