need to reformat & don't have win.98se disk

Old 10-28-03, 01:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to reformat & don't have win.98se disk

my windows 98se disk was lost (I still have the restoration gateway disk but I understand it only has the original drivers and some original software on it) and now it's time to reformat after 4 years. I need to know if there's a way to save my original windows 98se data that's on-board now to my cd burner so I can reload it after the re-format or do I need to try and buy another windows 98 se disk? also how do you back-up your current drivers for the reinstallation? thx

Old 10-28-03, 01:19 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're better off just buying a WinXP disk and upgrading - or reformat and install if you want.

You can't get the Win98 installation disk from a current installation (you have to have the installation disk.) As long as you still have your license key, you could just borrow a disk from someone else - make sure it's the exact same version.

Either way, make backups of e-mails and important files - forget the drivers, you can get them online later.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-03, 04:38 PM
C
Upgrade to XP

If you decide to upgrade to XP, format, then install fresh. I have done two upgrades from Win98 and they were ugly. You wind up having to reinstall most of everything on the drive anway because it won't run under XP as it would under W98.

If you copied the cab files (win98) directory to your hard disk when you installed originally, you can run the setup program from that folder and re-install that way without formatting.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-03, 05:33 PM
tae
I guess i just wonder why you want to reformat? What problems are you having?

Old 10-29-03, 04:03 PM
J
system was/is shutting down

and becomming unstable as well as not being able to even boot into the safe mode, at times. just use the computer in question for the internet but it's still a nice machine. the computer shop told me that with all the problems I was having that I should have the HD reformatted, and the OS reinstalled, and it probably should be done once a year????? is there another way to save the OS but remove all the insignificant data that has accumulated there? thx

Old 10-29-03, 07:32 PM
tae
Try running an up to date antivirus program, as well as a spyware/adware program. AVG is a good antivirus(free) and either spybot search and destroy or ad-aware(both free) could help alot. Also, be sure to defrag, and maybe run a through scandisk, all from safe mode. Over time, computers can accumulate alot of junk on the drive. reformatting is the easiest option to clean it up, but like in your case, may not be the best. Of course, the computer shop may reinstall the os from their own stock for you. You could always ask if you would need to bring your os cd or not.

Old 10-30-03, 05:14 AM
R
Older versions of Windows, particularily the home versiions (95, 98 and MyEnemy) are notorious for becoming corrupted over time. This is due to a major flaw in the OS.

Depending upon how often you use the computer and upon how many program have been installed, it is not uncommon to have to reformat the hard drive and restart from scratch every 12 months or so. If you heavily use the system, every six months is a good idea. If you only moderately use the system then you may be able to get away with much longer periods of time.

This reason alone is reason enough for many people to upgrade (if they can) to Windows XP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: