cant defrag?

Old 10-28-03, 02:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cant defrag?

i have a gateway 550 desktop.i just reinstalled windows 98 se. now i cant sem to defrag. it will run and keep starting over and over ect. ive ran scan disk ,shutdown all other applications and this does not help any suggestions?also 20 gig hard drive 128 of ram

Old 10-28-03, 03:07 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Restart the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 after the POST beep and select Safe Mode from the start menu.)

Run Scandisk and Defrag from Safe Mode and you will never have any problems - this is the way it should always be done, it's much quicker and better for your system.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-03, 03:47 PM
M
i pressed f8 and nothing happened it started like always. after rebooting when i hear a beep press f8 once or a couple of times?. sorry im not comp. litterate

Old 10-28-03, 04:41 PM
C
Well, just keep pressing F8. It will eventually boot into the menu for safe mode. Or you can hold down F5 and it will go straight to safe mode.

Old 10-28-03, 05:30 PM
tae
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 180902
How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;180902

Old 10-29-03, 06:22 AM
K
I had quite a time with my disk defragmenter at one point. It was because the screensaver would turn on. You may try disabling the screensaver and see if that helps.

Old 10-29-03, 06:30 AM
las
Visiting Guest
safe mode F-5

Hold the F-5 key with a fresh boot..keep holding it down don't let up you'll hear
computer beep..It takes quit awhile but it will eventually bring up the safe mode window click ok then run defrag threw start up menu ..run scandisk first then
defrag.I usually run a virus scanner first then scandisk then defrag

Old 10-29-03, 06:42 AM
las
Visiting Guest
msconfig

another way I've done It Is use start up menu click RUN then type In msconfig
click o.k this will bring up the system config utility then click deselect uncheck what Is checked click o.k then have patients till
your window comes up then threw start up menu do your defrag scan & virus program...but after all of that you have to go back to start up menu click run type in msconfig and click normal start up all your programs you unchecked will automatiacally be rechecked then restart computer..you need lots of patients for all of this

Old 10-29-03, 02:34 PM
M
thanks for all the info. i held down f8 and got into safe mode and did scan disk, defrag all went well . i think from now on ill be doing it this way thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: