computer problem

Old 10-29-03, 11:29 AM
Q
HI!!!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer problem

Hi. I have a big problem. My computer will not boot up correctly when I have the CD ROM DRIVE, and FLOPPY drive connected via the IDA cables and all that. But when I take the two out along with ther power line and only attach the hard drive, it works fine, and boots up.

What's wrong?

I have an AMD Athlon 1.462 gHz
3 Cables which hook up to the:
hard drive
floppy
cd rom.

please help!

Old 10-29-03, 11:38 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you say it doesn't boot up correctly - what exactly do you mean? Is Windows not starting? Does the POST hang or give errors? Does it not boot at all? Do you get "non-bootable disk" errors?

Are you sure the floppy cable is installed properly (it's easy to reverse)? Can you get into CMOS and does the BIOS detect the drives properly?

Have you tried just the CD and HDD? Does it work?

Have you tried just the FDD and HDD? Does it work?

If no to either, what happens?

Old 10-29-03, 01:09 PM
Q
HI!!!
What I mean is that when the comptuer first boots (when i have the option of going into BIOS), it freezes before going to the "Starting Windows..." screen.

When I plug in the HDD alone (cable + power) it boots and works fine.

When I put the floppy (cable + power) in, it boots until it says:
Floppy Disk Error (40). It says it right before it says "Press Del to Enter BIOS"

When I put the CD-ROM Drive in, the LED that's on the CD-ROM is usually green but now when I turn it on, stays orange, and the computer dosen't boot. All I have plugged into the back of the drive is the gray cable and it's power.

I have a 300W Power Supply. But I have noticed that the fan DOES NOT spin in the power supply. (Right now, I placed an exaust fan in front of the power supply grill to keep it cool).

Also, I am pretty sure that I have the cables in correctly. When I have al lthree (CD/Floppy/HDD), it dosen't work.

What's wrong?

(P.S. Thanks safewatch for the quick reply)

Old 10-29-03, 06:58 PM
Q
HI!!!
Just an update:

I have 3 gray ribbon cables in my comp if that makes a difference.

Old 10-29-03, 07:19 PM
tae
2 should be your ide ribbons(for hard drive and cd/dvd) and 1 should be for your floppy. Make sure you have them on right. the board should have an ide1 and ide2. #1 should be to hard drive, and #2 could go to cd/dvd. the manual for the motherboard should tell you which is which, or it might be marked on the board. The cables should have a red stripe on one edge.this represents pin 1.The motherboard should have pin one labed on it also, so you know how to fit it. Usually, both ide cables will fit in the sockets the same way, and the red stripe will be on the same side as the power plug on the device. Floppy's are pretty much backwards from that, but check your manual to be sure. the ide cables will be bigger than the floppy. Do you know the make/model of your motherboard? or brand/model of the computer? It sounds like the cable is either reversed, or the cd is set as master1. Have you looked in tbios to see how they are set to boot?

Old 10-29-03, 07:27 PM
Q
HI!!!
It is an "ECS Elitegroup" #K7SEM.
It was working before. But I was moving some drive around then I moved it back, now I had this error.

Do you think it's the power supply?
Because the fan in the back is not spinning, and when it does spin, it moves VERY slowly (rarely).

Old 10-29-03, 07:45 PM
tae
You should definitely get a new power supply.As soon as possible. Also look at the manual to make sure the cables are right.

here's a link to download your motherboard manual.
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_k7s.html

According to the manual, ide1 is the one in the middle, with pin 1 closest to the CPU. Ide2 is behind that(next to memory slots) and floppy is closest to edge of board, and pin 1 is also closest to CPU side. The manual is very good, with lots of pictures and explanations for installing the devices.

Old 10-30-03, 05:10 AM
R
Some drive cables are keyed so that they can only install one way, the correct way. Others are not, and it easy to get them installed backwards. Also, just be aware that the marking for pin one on the cable can be any color. Red and blue are the typical colors, but I have seen green, yellow and black used.

Old 10-31-03, 06:06 PM
Q
HI!!!
Thanks for the help (all of you). The problem was that I had the the IDE cables upside down. And also the power supply was not working correctly. It was generating too much heat because the fan wasn't spinning.

So I went out to purchase a new power supply and saw this awesome cpu case with a power supply (400W, I had 300 W) and temperature sensor, with blue LED fans all around the cpu case, and a window on the side. It was black. So I bought all that in a package for around $70.00. SO I came home and switched the parts. But when I went to turn it on it wasn't powering on, so I took it back and found out I had received a bad power supply. The technician looked over it, and replaced it with a 430W PS for free.

After that, it works fine. The whole room lights up blue now at night and looks magnificent. I also have a panel where I can control the speed (and the amt. of light) for the fans. 3 Temp sensors that beep when temperature is built up.

Thanks for the IDE help again, that did the trick. I will take a pic of the comp soon to show you how it looks!

Old 10-31-03, 06:30 PM
Q
HI!!!
Question.

[I'm so hyped up about this case.
This is the one I have but mine is in BLACK: http://www.thetechlounge.com/review....=blue_xdreamer]

There are places for fans all over the cpu frame. 2 in the rear, 1 on the top, 1 on the side, and 2 in the front.

I am currently running all 3 fans on exaust from the rear, top, and side. However, I want to put a fan in the front also, where my HD is mounted. Im gonna purchase one more fan so I can have one in each section. What would be the best solution as to intake and exaust.

Where woudl intake fans be best to place?
and where would exaust fans be best to place? (front, top, rear, side)?

1. Front (2)
2. Side (1)
3. Top (1)
4. Rear (2)

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-03, 07:03 PM
tae
Air Flow is very very important. You dont want to take in more than you vent out.Small example here:
http://www.coolcomputercases.com/how-to-fan.htm

I have seen better explanations, but don't have the pages handy. Maybe someone can point you to better. Glad you got everything working! I like that temp sensor on front!

Old 11-04-03, 04:39 PM
TheTechLounge
Visiting Guest
The best way to setup your case is to have 2 Exhaust fans in the back, 1 Exhaust in the top, 1 Intake in the side, and 2 Intake in the front.

The reason this is best is this... The Side intake fan blows cool air toward your CPU fan, which keeps your CPU cooler. The Top exhaust fan removes hot air from top of the case (hot air rises). The air around the CPU and around your motherboard is generally hotter than the rest of the air in your case, you the rear exhaust fans take out that hot hair. The Front intake fans bring in fresh air to keep your hard drives and everything else cool.

Hope that helps. Thanks for checking out our review over at TheTechLounge. =)

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-04-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 08:06 PM
Q
HI!!!
Thanks for the tips.

Im planning on doing just that now.

Old 11-04-03, 09:04 PM
TheTechLounge
Visiting Guest
Glad I could help.

Last edited by tae; 11-04-03 at 10:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: