Ink Refill Questions

Old 10-29-03, 11:04 PM
chau_ya
Visiting Guest
Question Ink Refill Questions

Hi all,

My son is getting to his stage of using the printer too much. He prints almost everything he likes on the web. It cost me 60 bucks for a pair of ink catridges and the ink gone fast. This makes me think of refilling my old catridges. Here are my questions :

1. Is ink refilling an ethical thing to do ?
2. Does it require good skill to do ?
3. Does (refilled) ink provide good quality ?

Just want to ask for your opinions.
Regards.

Old 10-30-03, 04:05 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ink Refill

I have not used the refillable cartridges. But, one thing I do is print almost everything in the printers "Draft" mode. This does not use as much ink and is easy enough to change back to a higher quality print if needed. Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-03, 04:31 AM
chau_ya,

Is it ethical to refill? - Sure it is!!

No, it does not require much skill. Black is fairly easy. Color cartridges are more difficult, I've given up on them. Iyt's too easy to overfill and then the colors get mixed.

In my opinion the difference is not noticeable between new and refilled carts.

Get an ink refill kit and 8 ozs of black for your printer. - the kit will tell you how to do it.
It's not always perfect. Some cartridges will refill and print fine. Others if left to dry will stay clogged and may not print after filling.
go to Atlascopy.com - I've used their ink for a couple years.

fred

Old 10-30-03, 05:04 AM
R
Ethical? You decide. One particular manufacturer (I forget which one) has put a license on their ink cartridges. When you open the package you agree not to reuse the container and to return it to them after use.

Some will argue that this manufactuirer is unethical. Others will argue that they have a right to do this and that you must comply or choose another printer.

I imagine that eventually there will be a lawsuit that challenges this and the courts will decide.

Regardless of that issue, maqny printer manufactures will not repair a printer in which you have used refilled cartridges.

For me, the cost difference is not an issue. I see no reason to try to save a few bucks and risk damaging my printer.

Old 10-30-03, 07:09 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm with Bob - the ethical matter is not the question, it's a matter of is it worth it?

Personally, I use a LaserJet, so it's not an issue for me. I do have a BubbleJet also, and have never used refills in it. I have used Office Depot brand or other generic brands (that are not refills, just rebranded) with no problems. I have also used these brands in my LaserJet with no problems. I highly recommend you reconsider refills - purchase from a known seller online (TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com, etc.)

Want to know why? Read about what can happen here

Old 10-30-03, 07:38 AM
chau_ya
Visiting Guest
Smile Refilled Ink

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for chipping in your opinions. So it is just like once I own a car, it is up to me to decide how I want to mess with it if the car is not in its warranty period. OK then.

I will do some more research by reading the info at the sites you gave me and do more some thinking that help make my decision in my case.

Thanks again. You all are great and helpful. That makes this site a joy to read.

Regards.

Old 10-30-03, 09:10 AM
K
If your son is doing all the printing, make him buy the next set of refills. I bet he will cut down on that habit pretty quickly.

Old 10-30-03, 11:54 AM
chau_ya
Visiting Guest
Wink

He thinks everything is cheap. But not his Dad.
Thank you all again.
Regards,

Old 10-30-03, 01:36 PM
The manufacturers have been unethical since the get go.
Printer $89.00
Ink cartridge $35.00 - for a couple dollar hunk of plastic and a buck of ink. Is that fair to the consumer.

Hey, an ink refill kit and 8oz of quality ink is half the cost of a cartridge. You refill some and they may not work. But I refilled one cartridge seven times before it finally died.
And anymore, printers are like VCRs, throwaways! - if they break it's usually not worth fixing anyway. Get a new one.
If I had a laserjet, I'd be refilling with toner too. At work we used refilled toner cartridges all the time. No problems.

fred

Old 10-30-03, 03:13 PM
chau_ya
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

From the recycling, earthfriendly, living-below-your-means, and DIY points of view, your stance has very good grounds. I admire that.

I also respect your sincereness. . BTW, my son is 10 YO.

Regards,

Old 10-30-03, 05:32 PM
Catspaw
Visiting Guest
I've refilled my cartridges a number of times, back and color. Warning: my HP color cartridge shows three colors on the label and they appear to indicate which chamber holds which color.
Appearances can be deceiving because they DO NOT mark the
proper color chambers! If you followed this `map` you would ruin the cartridge. To be sure, look at the printer head to tell you where the colors actually are. The best deal for ink that I've found is: www.re-inks.com

Last edited by SafeWatch; 10-30-03 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 06:10 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up ink cartridge refilling

Yes by all means refill those cartridges.

Here is a place to go where you can buy bulk ink in pints, and they will sell you the correct ink for your printer along with free instructions to print out. I highly recommend it. Much cheaper than those refill kits you get at office depot, staples etc.....

www.oddparts.com

Best advice I can give u:

1. wear gloves and use lots of newspapers
2. use a 5cc syringe (much easier and less messy than those accordian bottles)
3. follow directions for your printer
4. don't over fill.........these cartridges hold small quantities, again follow the directions for your printer.
5. FILL SLOWLY!!!!!!!

Keep in mind some cartridges (HP) are harder to fill than others, I have personally filled black and colored cartridges for both canon and lexmark printers. The biggest problem is getting an air block at the bottom of the cartridge this causes the ink not to flow properly.
If you are not sure what color is in what well. Dip a toothpick into the well and see what color comes out on the toothpick, before you attemp to fill the cartridge.

That is all I can think of right now, my best advice is to follow the directions.

Good Luck
glenda

Old 10-30-03, 08:16 PM
chau_ya
Visiting Guest
Thank you, both Glenda and Catspaw, for sharing your own experience of handling ink refill. I feel great about this (the support from this site, from all). I think I'll give it a try. I'm sure I'll NOT die because of trying this out.

Regards,
Chau_ya

Old 10-30-03, 08:54 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
You are welcome. Good Luck and save lots of Bucks!!!

glenda

Last edited by SafeWatch; 10-31-03 at 06:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: