Web page viewing problem

Old 10-31-03, 12:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Web page viewing problem

We have a new desktop with 1.2 gig celeron, 40 gig hd, 512 ram, etc. with XP Home.

On various websites, the links do not show properly, but rather show as a box with a red 'x' in them. I checked this system against others with similar specs regarding IE security and cookie settings, and they are the same. All the others can view the pages correctly.

I did notice that the pc in question does not seem to have Windows Virtual Machine as a component. Could this be the problem?

If not, what could?

Do I need VM on it, and if so, how do I get it? We have the original oem XP discs

Thanks

Old 10-31-03, 12:21 PM
C
If you right click on the missing picture do you get a choice of view the item? If so, and you select to see it does it work? You may this type of image blocked in your firewall or other restriction in your browser.

XP updates itself automatically. If this is not enabled, you may have missed an update to IE.

My XP runs fine without Virtual Machine. Fresh install. There are vm* dlls embedded in places, so this may be the same effect as your mention.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-03, 02:39 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a possible HOSTS file issue. Have you installed KazaaLite or any Ad-blocking programs lately?

Try a file search for HOSTS and open the one with no extension in Wordpad or Notepad. See if there are a lot of addresses listed there and what IP they point to.

Old 10-31-03, 02:41 PM
tae
could also be firewall or antivirus suite.

Old 10-31-03, 05:23 PM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
I've had the same problem before only on some web pages not all. I always thought it was a problem on the web server. Is the problem on all web pages or some?

Old 11-01-03, 05:08 AM
B
It does not happen on all sites. Will check pop up stopper and Norton settings

Old 11-03-03, 06:33 AM
B
OK, disabled my pop up stopper and checked Norton Antivirus settings, but problem still persists.

Are we sure that some form of java is not required to view some web pages correctly?

Old 11-03-03, 07:52 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally posted by SafeWatch
Sounds like a possible HOSTS file issue. Have you installed KazaaLite or any Ad-blocking programs lately?

Try a file search for HOSTS and open the one with no extension in Wordpad or Notepad. See if there are a lot of addresses listed there and what IP they point to.
The HOSTS file resides in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. Open it and tell us what it says. What you're looking for is a lot of references to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) - if you have those references, then you're blocking the named hosts.

Old 11-03-03, 12:13 PM
B
The only item listed is 127.0.01 localhosts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: