programs running in windows 98se??necessary???

Old 10-31-03, 03:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
programs running in windows 98se??necessary???

when I press ctrl-alt-delete, I get these programs running: explorer, zonealarm, navapaw 32, systray, starter, rnaap, ocraware, and ocrawr32

however, when I pull up system information, software enviroment and then running tasks I get all this. resources are running low even with 320mb of ram running windows 98se. is all this stuff necessary??? especially the stuff with the ???? marks? also if anyone sees any stange programs, I would appreciate the heads up. thx

Kernel32.dll 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Win32 Kernel core component C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel32.dll 4.3

?????????? MSGSRV32.EXE 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.0

??????Mprexe.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation WIN32 Network Interface Service Process Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

MMTASK.TSK 4.03.1998 Microsoft Corporation Multimedia background task support module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK 4.0

Vsmon.exe 3.7.211 Zone Labs Inc. TrueVector Service C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\Vsmon.exe 4.0 TrueVector Service

Mstask.exe 4.71.1972.1 Microsoft Corporation
Task Scheduler Engine C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mstask.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Task Scheduler

??????????Annclist.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Announcement Listener C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\Annclist.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1 Microsoft Corporation Windows Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System

OCRAWARE.EXE Caere Corporation OCRAWARE.EXE C:\OPLIMIT\OCRAWARE.EXE 3.1 OmniPage Limited Edition

Ocrawr32.exe 5, 0, 0, 0 Caere Corporation Ocraware32 C:\OPLIMIT\Ocrawr32.exe 4.0 OmniPage Limited Edition

?????Taskmon.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Task Monitor C:\WINDOWS\Taskmon.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Systray.exe 4.10.2222 ???????????Microsoft Corporation System Tray Applet C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Systray.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Starter.exe 3.00.02 Creative Technology, Ltd. This program launches the mixer application. C:\WINDOWS\Starter.exe 4.0 starter

Navapw32.exe 8.07.17 Symantec Corporation Norton AntiVirus Agent C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\Navapw32.exe 4.0 Norton AntiVirus

Zonealarm.exe 3.7.211 Zone Labs Inc. ZoneAlarm C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\Zonealarm.exe 4.0 ZoneAlarm

Wmiexe.exe 5.00.1755.1 Microsoft Corporation WMI service exe housing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Wmiexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System

Spool32.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Spooler Sub System Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Spool32.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Rnaapp.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Dial-Up Networking Application C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rnaapp.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Tapisrv.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tapisrv.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System

Ddhelp.exe 4.06.03.0518 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft DirectX Helper C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Ddhelp.exe 4.0 Microsoft® DirectX for Windows® 95 and 98

Msinfo32.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation MSInfo32 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\MSINFO\Msinfo32.exe 4.0 Microsoft System Information

Old 10-31-03, 05:32 PM
R
The answer to your question is a complex answer.

Obviously some of what you are running is necessary. Other items may not be. It all depends on what YOU want running on your system.

I suggest that you look for and download one of the many programs that will help you analyze what is running when you start your computer and tell you how to determine if it is needed or not, as well as help you remove or disable it.

I use one called "startup cop". I have also seen them named "startup control center" and "startup control panel".

As for resources running low, let me offer this information and advice. 384 MBytes of memory is not a lot anymore. In the age of firewalls and antivirus software you need more memory, not less. The microsoft 9x operating systems (95, 98 and MyEnemy) handle resources poorly, due to a flaw in their design. These systems need to be rebooted regularly, at least once per day, and sometimes more than once a day, depending on what you are doing. The best you can do with these operasting systems is to trash them and moce up to XP. If you don;t want to do that, give them as much memory as you can and reboot frequently.

Old 10-31-03, 08:49 PM
tae
Go here to look them all up:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Then you can decide which ones you want to keep running all the time.

You can get startup control panel free here:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Or you could use msconfig.

Old 11-01-03, 05:32 AM
las
Visiting Guest
What about the guy that sets you up?

Doesn't the guy that set you up have any responsibility
He sure should of settled that with you when you got your
computer your likes dislikes & what you want running on
your computer for whatever reasons?
I understand that computers work better when they only have one think to look afterrinter or a scanner or video take you pic
Has for me I think I would want nothing..I can allows attach the camera when I want to send pics

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: