Zip File

Old 11-03-03, 05:28 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zip File

Have a zip file which I believe is an executable file (Lode Runner, Original Version) that I downloaded.

Stupid me,,,,thought I could find out what to do with it to run the program.....Looked up all the "Help" in MS98 and my Explorer, and can't find out what to do with it.

Will greatly appreciate some help!

Thanks

Old 11-03-03, 05:43 PM
R
To access what is in a zip file requires something to unzip (open) the archive and extract the files.

The newer operating systems from Microsoft (MyEnemy and XP) have built in unzipping capability. WIth the older operating systems you need an external unzipping program.

There are many out there. Some are free, others cost money. Some may have an evaluation period where you can use them free.

I recommend winzip (winzip.com).

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-03-03 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 04:34 AM
B
could be self-extracting

It could be self-extracting - some zip programs allow the extractor code to be part of the zip file.
Just click on the zip file. You'll know if it will extract or not.

If not - then get a zip tool. Winzip is one of the best. There used to be a pretty good freeware program, but I don't remember the name.

Old 11-04-03, 04:43 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Heres a little reading on the subject. http://www.eurekais.com/brock/aazip.htm

Old 11-04-03, 09:24 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's a pretty good tutorial - for PKZip (a somewhat outdated Zip program.) I think that may be the program you were referring to, Bob? That tutorial is quite outdated itself - November 2001.

I recommend you try Winzip.com for all your zipping and unzipping needs

Old 11-04-03, 09:43 AM
tae
I use WinRar. Free trial here:
http://download.com.com/3000-2250-10...age&tag=button

WinRAR 3.11 is easy to use, lightweight, and flexible (with its 8-15 percent better compression ratio) over the established ZIP format. Adding value to its good looks and right-click readiness for basic compression and unzipping, WinRAR offers unpacking support for a wide number of newer archive formats, including ACE, BZ2, JAR, and ISO. It even throws in ZIP archives for good measure. You'll also appreciate WinRAR's advanced features, such as better file-naming conventions for long archive names, Unicode support for international formatting, embedded file comments, damaged archive repair, archives locking, self-extracting archives, and encryption.

Old 11-04-03, 11:06 AM
R
The free program I am thinking of is info-zip (www.info-zip.org). it is truly free-ware. You can download the source code or just the executables.

They even have a Windows GUI.

If you don't want to spend any money this is the program for you.

Old 11-04-03, 02:17 PM
tae
Actually, winzip is shareware, and you will just get an annoying "nag" screen everytime you use it, unless you register(pay) for it. It is probably the best known and most used. Here is a link to several free zip utilities.

http://thefreesite.com/Free_Software...sion_freeware/

Old 11-05-03, 04:18 AM
B
PKzip it was

That was years ago

If you do get winzip - at least pay for it. Its only $29.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: