delay in typing

Old 11-06-03, 05:16 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
delay in typing

I am getting a delay when I type ie....my cursor is several to a whole line ahead before the characters come up on the screen. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

thanks.........glenda

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-06-03 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-03, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could be several things:
High CPU usage (try closing some background programs)
Low memory (same resolution - or buy more memory)
Low page file or lots of swapping (increase the swap file size and make the Min and Max the same, so that Windows doesn't keep changing it)

Try some of the utilities mentioned in the FAQ at the top of the Computer forum. Make sure you run scandisk/defrag/AV and AdAware or Spybot.

There are several other things it could be - give these a try then let us know.

Old 11-07-03, 12:56 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
Here is what I have already done
1. closed background programs
2. did buy more memory(i'm maxed at 256)
3. I defragged my swap file.
4. ran scandisk/defrag/av and adaware
5. ran av from pcpitstop also.
this has just started happening. I haven't downloaded any new programs so I am unsure of what is happening. I do notice that rrnapp loads up when I start my computer. Any reason for this?
The pointer has also been hanging up like I pointed and clicked on something when in fact I didn't. Could this be a mouse problem. Took the mouse apart(totally) and cleaned it out a month ago so I question a mouse problem. It's like i'm in slow motion. This is really a pain in the @##$%$.

Here is my computer info
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\CABS C:\CABS\MSBATCH.INF /IW /IS /P c- /IZ /II /NR /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 5.50.4807.2300
Uptime: 0:01:57:01
Normal mode
On "COMPUTER" as ""
333C Gateway
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
256MB RAM
73% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1887MB free)
Available space on drive C: 1887MB of 3092MB (FAT32)
see anything out of the ordinary?

thanks..........glenda

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-07-03 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 01:54 PM
Still sounds as if the system were overloaded. Click Run, type Msconfig, select the start up tab and see what all is running in the background. Many of the things that most folks have running are not truly needed and can eat processor time.

Take a try at unchecking everything in Start Up except nav... (Norton Antivirus), go the the first tab and select the option to start without processing the autoexec.bat file and the sysconfig.ini file and restart the computer. See how it performs like this and let us know.

Do you reboot this computer everyday?

Old 11-07-03, 02:55 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
this is what is running in msconfig
norton email protect
norton auto-protect
systray
esoniqmixer...........have yet not been able to disable this

went to first tab and unchecked autoexec.bat and sysconfig.ini and restarted the computer.
did alt ctrl del and this is what shows up
explorer
systray
navapw32
starter (esoniqmixer)
rnaap
I shut down starter......and rnaap everytime before starting any work or surfing. Why does rnaap come up? I have tried everything I can think of to stop starter(esoniqmixer) and have yet to stop it from starting up when the computer starts.

I shut off my computer every nite and it reboots when turned on.

my cursor is now only a 5 words ahead of my typing. So what does this mean? It's still annoying.

thanks...........glenda

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-07-03 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 03:45 PM
One thing you should do is change your Swap File from Windows-managed to Fixed.

Go into Control Panel/System (from here I can't remember on 98) Advanced tab? then Virtual Memory? Something like that. Then change both the Min and Max values to the Recommended setting. Windows will ask if you really want to do this - Yes. Restart.

This will set the SF to X amount and it will stay that way.

You can disable the Esoniqmixer from MSCONFIG - just uncheck it.

<I>PS: When you reply to posts here, use the Post Reply button at the bottom of the page, instead of quotes - we all know what we said - Thanks</i>

Old 11-07-03, 03:54 PM
If you uninstall dial up networking, it should stop loading rnaap.

Old 11-07-03, 09:08 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
I have gone into Msconfig and unchecked esoniqmixer. When the computer reboots there is esoniqmixer. I go into msconfig and there is the check mark again.
I went into startup folder in win explorer and deleted all apps from starting but it doesn't take care of esoniqmixer.
I started esoniqmixer to see if it has a place to check to turn it off NO.
I don't know where else to go to turn it off. I don't want to uninstall it, just disable it from starting up. There has to be a way I just don't know what it is. Any more suggestions? PLEASE

So is it better to have fixed SF than letting Win take care of it. Why? I defrag my SF about every 2 weeks. Harddrive every month.

If I uninstall dial-up networking then won't I have problems getting onto the net? I have Juno. I am afraid to uninstall dial-up and reinstall because Juno is so touchy and my connection is really doing well right now.

Sorry about the quotes.........thought that was what we were suppose to do.

glenda

Old 11-07-03, 11:23 PM
ensoniqmixer is likely the driver for your audio - sound card. Windows will load it because it detects the sound card at boot up, and the driver is installed for it. I imagine that you could uninstall it and Windows would load a driver for the sound card if there is one in the cab files on your hard drive.

Is this delay in typing in your browser, word processing programs, all, some?

Does this problem persist in Safe Mode?

Old 11-08-03, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by gidawes
So is it better to have fixed SF than letting Win take care of it. Why? I defrag my SF about every 2 weeks. Harddrive every month.
Yes, the reason is simple - Windows will change the size of the SF as you need it. So, when you are running programs and doing different things on the computer, Windows is constantly changing the size of the SF - this slows the computer down.
If you set the size to fixed, then the size stays the same - Windows doesn't change it. This makes for faster HDD access - plus less CPU usage.
I'm not certain this will help your problem - but it can't hurt.

Sorry about the quotes.........thought that was what we were suppose to do.
No problem This is how I like to see quotes used. If you want to reply to a specific question or paragraph. Otherwise, it's pretty much unnecessary.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-03, 03:55 PM
In regards to your original question of the typing being delayed, do you have a cordless keyboard? If so, it's possible the batteries are low.

Or, if you recently changed the batteries, you forgot to sync the keyboard again (you should do this any time you change the batteries).

You do this by looking on the back/bottom of your keyboard where you will see a "connect" button. You want to press the connect button on the keyboard at the same time as pressin the connect button on you cordless controller device (can't remember what it's called--the little box that sits on your desk to control the cordless keyboard)

I usually have to use an ink pen to press the connect button on the bottom of the keyboard

Old 11-11-03, 09:23 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE][i]
Is this delay in typing in your browser, word processing programs, all, some?

This is only happening when I am on the internet using ie 5.5, word, notepad, email and replying here also.

Any suggestions as to why? or what is causing this? This has been doing this about a week or so.

No Marc31605......this is not wireless keyboard/mouse.

thx...glenda

Old 11-11-03, 09:43 PM
Are you running any screen savers or fancy cursor programs, such as: Comet Cursor?

Do you have Ad Aware from Lavasoft? If not, you might try it to clean out spyware. Spyware can bog down a computer.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-03, 10:19 PM
gidawes
Visiting Guest
1. No.......they are memory hogs.

2. I have it and use it faithfully.

anymore suggestions???

glenda

Last edited by SafeWatch; 11-12-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 07:51 PM
tae
I regularly run both ad aware and spybot s & d.
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button
Each one can find things the other does not.(have to do this every time my G.F. gets on). Try that. Obviously, you have something taking up the processing power. Have you used the system monitor to try and track the performance? To run the System Monitor, select it from the System Tools program group. You can use it to keep track of a wide range of system elements. Although System Monitor will usually add one element (processor usage) by default, you can add any system elements you want it to monitor by either clicking on the Add button on the toolbar or by choosing Edit | Add Item. A two-pane window will appear containing all of the processes you can monitor. Let us know.