high speed...It kinda looks like It's
a lot of work to bring high speed to
everyone...This Is especially so In rural
areas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-03, 09:05 AM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
My father owns and runs a cable tv company in a small rural town and does not have his system optimized for high speed internet service because the number of people that would sign up for high speed service would not justify the cost of upgrading the system. That is the biggest problem for people that live in rural areas that want high speed internet service. There is DSL but not all areas have them and of course there is satellite but that I believe is download only. You still need dialup for uploads, unless I'm not up to speed on satellite technology.

Old 11-07-03, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most satellite service is bi-directional now - you do need dial-up for the initial install (or a phone line of some sort, not sure if it's actually a dial-up internet connection), but after that you don't need the phones.

Satellite service has actually come a long way, even from just last year when we were discussing it. The speeds are much faster, no phone line needed, and the price has come down considerably. It's actually a pretty good option for those who cannot get DSL or Cable in their area.

Old 11-07-03, 09:23 AM
las
Visiting Guest
45.00 dollars a month

It's costing me 45 bucks a month just for my DSL connection to the internet..on top of that the phone bill and call display has put our phone bill over 100 bucks per month?some people have dropped there
Internet connection..there kids took off so they no longer want to pay the bill?

Old 11-07-03, 09:41 AM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
I have asked people who only use dial up why they don't switch to DSL or Cable and they simply say that they don't go on the internet that often and don't download large files so it in their mind doesn't justify the cost.

Old 11-07-03, 09:49 AM
las
Visiting Guest
dial-up?

I can give a actual quote that It took a person one hour
to send one email with dial-up..when I bought my computer
they told me never never get dial-up..Oh I guess maybe what they
meant Is If you don't have to & you can choose a DSL connection go that route rather?

Old 11-07-03, 10:03 AM
Some stay with dial up because is suits their purposes. Others fidget or change.

Old 11-07-03, 12:35 PM
The only reason it would take an hour or more to send an email would be if a large file was attached. If it takes that long with no attachment then something is wrong with the PC.

As for why someone would send that large of an attachment, I think it is ignorance.

Many people are ignorant of both how to determine and how to change file size. File size of text and document files can be drastically reduced by using compression software. File size of pictures can be reduced by using a decent photo editor and adjusting the resolution whn saving as a JPEG file.

Old 11-08-03, 10:12 PM
No DSL, it's racism!

I live in a predominately hispanic area and we've tried for years to get the local phone companies to upgrade the system so we could have DSL like the other more well to do communities do. It's very clear in this case, we're just second class customers and don't matter.

Old 11-08-03, 10:27 PM
Economically, there may not be a market for DSL is some places. In some areas, there is a lot of old equipment that has to replaced in order to supply DSL. In our case, we were almost outside of the maximum distance from the central office to have DSL. I believe you have to be within 18,000 feet of the central office for the signal to be adequate. When I first moved here, I lived in a predominately Hispanic community, and broadband was already there.

Old 11-09-03, 07:51 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
For what I do dial up is just fine. I can almost listen to streaming audio but video is out of the question. Good thing I do neither. The longest downloads are updates from MS so I do them when through for the day. Update from IE 5.01 to 6 took 2 hours 10 minutes......Mike