WebTV?

Old 11-09-03, 07:23 AM
WebTV?

Is anyone familiar with WebTV? I am thinking about it as a solution to my mother's computer - internet - e-mail dilemma. She wants to get on the internet, she won't spend any time learning to use a computer, she doesn't get around like she used to, she has a nice television and a place to watch it. I think her real interest is in e-mail, but mailstation won't handle photos.

So - good, bad, pitfalls, limitations?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-03, 02:28 PM
tae
Well, it's now MSN TV. It's $99.00 for the box(plus a $25.00 rebate right now), and $21.95 a month. Most of the people i have talked to either hated it or liked it so much they bought a computer. The ones that hated it would probably hate a computer, and the ones that liked it realized pretty quick how limited they were compared to what everybody else was doing on the web. I would say buy a cheap used computer for around the same price and set it up for her. You could always use a TV tuner card, but that way if she ever wanted to a little more, she could. I never thought my parents would do the computer thing, but once they got one, they loved it. My dad loves playing games on it,and listening to music. He's in his 70's. Who'd a thought?

Old 11-09-03, 06:45 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
We bought my father a Web TV against his wishes. Said he would never learn how to use it and didn't need it. Now he spends as much as 5-6 hours a day on it and is all over the internet. He has no interest in moving to a PC.

He named his machine "Webby".

Old 11-14-03, 09:20 AM
RoyleMouse
Visiting Guest
Web-TV

my mother in Texas has web-tv - and injoyes it.
has had it for 6 yrs.
she send photos and receves photos / forwards photos by E-mail.
its small / and simple .

Old 11-14-03, 09:38 PM
silentmystic
Visiting Guest
We had that a while back when it was actualy a 'ok' deal. but it seems the computer internet is much cheaper and better. The web-tv usaly has dialup charges, and long distances fees, and now it has (MSN at least) only a limited amount of time you can be on there a month without paying more (mind you you STILL pay for dialup, longdistance every time) and with them only giving you like 15 hours 'free' a month is not worth it.

Old 11-16-03, 07:58 AM
RoyleMouse
Visiting Guest
web-tv

wait just a min.
theres no long distance charges / no time limit
true you need msn as a Internet excuses for web-tv.