CD won't eject

Old 11-09-03, 10:13 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
CD won't eject

A friend of mine has this problem but I've never seen a CD drive that doesn't have a drawer. His CD is the type that are used in cars and audio systems where you simply slip the CD into a slot and it ejects the same way. He has a CD that wont eject. (Compaq 4528).............Help me help him!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-03, 12:33 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
this is just a thought if your bud uses ez cd creator, if the cd was created using direct cd the direct cd program must be running and eject is an option when icon is right clicked. Won't eject with button.

Old 11-09-03, 05:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
He might try to right click on the cd drive icon under my computer and see if eject is an option for that drive.

Old 11-09-03, 06:16 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The cd that's stuck is a store bought game and he tried the eject option. I've gone to the Compaq web site and they show the common slide out tray cd when ejects by putting straightened paper clip in the emergency eject hole.

Old 11-09-03, 08:15 PM
C
This type of cd drive is more common in car cd players. You might check the tv, vcr, stereo section.

Old 11-09-03, 09:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try rebooting and going straight to CMOS - press DEL or F2 or whatever it tells you to press at startup (although, being a Comtrash, you probably can't.)

When you finally get into CMOS, try ejecting the CD from there - I hope the CD drive still has an eject button, like normal CD-ROMs do??? If not, it looks like you'll be taking that sucker apart.

I have seen these drives once or twice - doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

If you can't get into CMOS, just try ejecting before Windows loads and takes control of everything (including your wallet!!!)

Good luck!

Old 11-10-03, 11:49 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They are called "front loading cd-roms" its basically just a show-off/Mac kinda thing. Supposedly they say they have less parts to break, but it basically has a moving arm that grabs the diskinstead of the usual tray that the CD sits on.

I have never seen one jammed myself, but have seen many of the trays jammed. They usually open without doing total surgery. I usually get them to open by pulling the ribbon cable off the back and powering up the machine. Once the machine has power hit the eject button. Good luck, those front loading drives are expensive to replace. It may (or may not) recover and act normal again once the CD is out.

Old 11-10-03, 01:06 PM
R
The offer the advantage that someone won't use the tray as a cup holder.

Old 11-10-03, 02:33 PM
Forums Admin
Visiting Guest
Many CDs ROMs in computers have manual release/eject button that most people are not aware of. The manufacturers made it possible to recover your CD if the CD ROM tray motor burns out or jams. To most people its just a small hole in the front of the CD ROM. Using a pin or a paper clip you can get the CD mechinism to release the CD. Your CD ROM although different from most standard ones on the market might have one.

What is the Compaq computer Model number? The model number on Compaqs is usualy found next to the serial number. Even better if you know the CD make and model.

Old 11-10-03, 06:29 PM
tae
Ok, i tore apart my 4 year olds computer(compaq) that has a Hitachi cdr-8235 slot loader. I imagine most slot loaders are similar. Just pull the cdr out and pop off the face. On this one, it just had 2 tabs on each side. Once the face is off, you should be able to grab the CD and pull it out. The thing has 2 rolling arms in the back and 2 rolling arms in the front. they move with very little pressure. You'll see what i mean when you pull the face off. Looks pretty easy. Good luck.
p.s. It took me longer to get the cdr unit out than it did to get a cd out of it. With this compaq(deskpro) the face of the computer comes off real easy(pop a couple tabs) and you could probably pop the tabs on the cdr without having to take out the unit itself. That might be the easiest way. Of course, thats not how i did it. Live and learn.

P.P.S. Racraft....my girlfriend found out the hard way about the cup holder thing. Of course, it cost me a very nice multimedia keyboard.

Old 11-14-03, 09:25 PM
silentmystic
Visiting Guest
I hope I have the right idea of the type: along the side there should be a small pin-like hole. straighten out a paper-clip and slide it in untill you hit the releaf switch or untill you can phisicaly move the CD back and forth. If it is the secound one some minor damage WILL happen to the CD but its only minor and a few hairline scrathes. But if it is a vauled CD turn off the computer, unhitch the frame and disconect the drive manialy. Then you should have acces to the (4?) screws that hold together the drive. Slowly seperate them and retrive the disk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: