no boot

Old 11-09-03, 04:50 PM
hadvisor
Visiting Guest
no boot

I bought an old toshiba satellite 2595 used with nothing with it but the power adaptor. When you boot, it wants to go to win98 but gives me error messages missing
win/himem.sys
win/dblbuff.sys
win/ifshlpsys
what do i need to get this thing formatted and working again?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-03, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will need the installation disc for Windows to reinstall the operating system. It will enable you to setup Windows completely.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-03, 06:57 PM
As has been mentioned, you need to reinstall Windows from the beginning. Since this is brand new system (to you), you will want to do this anyway.

You want nothing to do with whatever someone left on the hard drive. I'm surprised that someone would sell you a computer without first wiping the hard drive completely clean, which would forrce you to install the OS.

Old 11-09-03, 08:22 PM
hadvisor
Visiting Guest
Great. The only os I have on disk is xp upgrade and my dell system disk which will not let me install hardware on any other computer. Any other thoughts? As for why It wasnt formatted or anything, I got it at a rummage sale for pretty cheap....

Old 11-09-03, 09:19 PM
f you have not used the XP disc, you could probably upgrade to XP if the Dell disk is a windows restore disk. The upgrade disk might accept it as an existing Windows installation. You might be able to buy a copy of Win 98 on ebay or elsewhere for little and use it to set up the laptop.

Old 11-09-03, 09:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, I'm in agreement - your best bet is to get an old copy of Win98 and just do a fresh install, after formatting.

I don't think I would push WinXP on this system - it would probably run, but do so pretty slow.

WinXP Requirements:
PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Your Computer's Specs:
Celeron 400Mhz
64Mb of SDRAM (Standard) - 192Mb (Maximum)
4.3Gb - 6.4Gb HDD (depending on model)
Win98 (originally included)

I would stick with 98 - you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

Good luck!