las
Visiting Guest
wireless..?

O.K. now I'm hearing talk about wireless
What would the benifits to me be?
I don't even know If we can go that route around were
I live ..In any case I'm sticking with my DSL connection
The only plans I got might be to upgrade down the road with
windows 2000..So whats all this wireless talk?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-03, 04:57 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are confusing a wireless LAN in your home with a wireless Internet connection.

A wireless Internet connection is a high speed Internet connection using satellite. They are available, but DSL is usually cheaper.

A wireless LAN in your house is a way to interconnect the computers in your house without the need to run cables of any sort. Wireless LANs are not as reliable as Ethernet LANS, and there are some security issues. However, for obvious reasons some people prefer them. They make sense if you do not own the house, or will be selling and moving soon. And they do offer more flexibility, such as the ability to sit in the middle of your backyard and still read and send email.

Old 11-10-03, 05:36 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually, there is wireless internet access also - not sure if it's still availabe, as it was very pricey and extremely limited.

It is/was somewhat based on the same technology as wireless LAN's and used very similar equipment - but has/had much better range.

PhoneTek (the old Mod over in Voice & Data) had subscribed to it at one time - but the wait to have it installed was even worse than DSL. And I never heard anything back about how good or bad it is.

Obviously, the range is nothing compared to DSL or Cable (even with DSL's 18K or so limits.)

I'm thinking the technology was basically a wireless LAN with high-powered antennas - but that's just a guess.

Like I say, the system turned out to be too expensive, and as prices came down on DSL and Cable equipment and service, it has pretty much become obsolete.

Old 11-11-03, 07:00 AM
L
las
Visiting Guest
Thanks

You answered the question I guess