migration software??

Old 11-11-03, 06:02 AM
scooter100
Visiting Guest
Question migration software??

I was advised to use migratin software to set up my new computer from my old one. Where do I buy it, and does anyone have a recommendation on which one? I'm going from an old Gateway G6-450 to a sony vaio RZ44g. Thanks, scooter

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-03, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have no idea what you are talkiing about, and you would be wasting your money.

All you need to do is install whatever programs you want on your new computer. Use the original installation CDs or download them from the Internet. Then transfer all your data files over from your old machine.

Old 11-11-03, 06:31 AM
If what you intend to do is to move your data and photo files to your new computer, copying them to a CD or floppy might be the best way. Any programs you have on the old computer will need to be reinstalled on the new one. The versions of Windows, your likely systems, are probably different. You may need to replace some programs, if they won't perform properly with the new version of Windows.

If you have a way to connect the two computers together, you could set up a peer to peer network and copy the files. A local computer shop can pull your old files onto a CD for you if you don't have a CD writer on your old computer.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-03, 05:42 AM
scooter100
Visiting Guest
Smile Hope this helps?

Thanks for your reply, but not really, Chris.
It seems that you have not had experience with migration software, and racraft doesn't even know what migration software is, but you both offer advice on it. A basic search on the internet will give you both some idea of what migration software is.

I'm interested in hearing from someone who actually has exerience with a migration software product and can tell me if they were satisfied with it or not.
Thanks, scooter

Old 11-12-03, 06:40 AM
It would be helpful if you would be more specific about what you want to do. From the nature of the original post, it seems as if you want to move data or programs from one windows computer to another as a typical home user would when buying a new computer. Generally posters want to move their files, not migrate them.

I was advised to use migratin software to set up my new computer from my old one.

As you can tell, I was trying to divine what you wanted from your vague statement. Responses are often based upon the information supplied in the post. I did not offer any advice on migration programs.

As you are well aware, transferring programs from older versions of Windows to newer XP leaves the programs out of the menu system and fails to resolve any compatibility issues. For the traditional user, this would result in not being able to find the program. Upon finding the exe file and running it, the user can experience problems with its execution since it was simply moved. Simply moving data from one application to another can create problems.

If you want to rebuild databases or port an application, there are many offerings available. But you already know that.

Old 11-12-03, 06:45 AM
Okay, I searched for migration software and looked at a few of the products.

As I said before, don't waste your money. No software can do everything that you need to do, and I am sure that some of what these programs migrate for you will not work properly when on the new machine.

My original instructions stand. Install your software using the original installation CDs or floppies, or installation prorgams downloaded from the Intenet. Then copy all your data files over.

Old 11-12-03, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the big question here is what are you wanting to migrate from what OS and to what OS?

If this is a home PC and you are just wanting to move e-mails, documents, pictures, etc. (the typical kind of things that home-users have on their PC's) then migration software is not for you. Either burn to disk or make back-ups of some sort.

However, as Chris mentioned, if you are wanting to migrate DB's, major software programs, and specialized content - you may want to look into migration software. Migration software is more for corporate environments where there are hundreds or thousands of computers that need to be migrated to a new OS - usually remotely over the network. It's not a simple program that you install on your computer and magically it upgrades all your software to the new OS. Any programs out there that make that claim are simply lying - stay away from them.

For the most part, burning back-ups to CD is the easiest and most inexpensive way to do this - CD-RW's are running less than $50/each these days.

Of course, another easy way to get your old information from the old computer to a new one is to simply install the old hard drive in the new computer as a Slave drive. It's not a difficult process, and then you will have all of your old information easily accessible on the new computer. Just another thought.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-03, 03:32 PM
tae
Here is a review of several.
http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/2001/0716rev2.html

Most of us here have used Norton Ghost, and are familiar with it. It is usually enough to get the job done for most individuals.

Old 11-12-03, 09:36 PM
Now when I think of migration software, I think of actually migrating the OS to another OS - or upgrading the OS - or possibly major software (like MS Office, etc.) Imaging software is different - in my mind anyway.

If you want to use imaging software (basically, imaging will print an <i>exact</i> image of your current hard drive to the new hard drive - just like you never changed drives), then I recommend either using Norton's Ghost, as tae mentioned, or PowerQuest's Drive Image (same ppl who make Partition Magic.)

That being said, that may be what the recommendation was for - imaging software and not actual migration software.

Old 11-13-03, 05:43 AM
scooter100
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Thanks guys!!

I appreciate your help.

Old 11-13-03, 06:02 AM
scooter

Don't ask a vague question and then insult anyone trying to answer your vague post. I work with computers everyday. I know what migration software is - I've written some scripts to do that and have been a project lead on other migrations.
Safewatch gave a pretty good definition. Anyone wanting to do that on a personal computer won't be on this forum asking such a vague question. They will have a specific question. After reading your post and follow-up, I do believe you do not understand what it is you really need. Chris and Bob saw that right away.

You do not want migration software. At best all you want is a quick, easy way to copy files from on computer to another. This is not migration software.
Even if you would do an image copy, you'd have problems.
1. Old versions of software may not run properly on XP - you'll need to install current versions.
2. There will be problems with the registry.
3. other probs?

Old 11-14-03, 07:39 AM
scooter100
Visiting Guest
sorry...

Thanks for your reply Bob. I am truely sorry if I have offended anyone. And I am sorry if I posted such a vague question. I will no longer post on this forum

Old 11-14-03, 08:11 AM
Don't stay away

Don't stay away. There is a lot of expertise available on this forum. All I ask is that you don't pose a vague question and then criticize those trying to respond.

Computers are very particular. A misplaced comma or period or the wrong case on just one letter can make a huge difference - been there, done that too many times over the past 20+ years.
Many of our answers do indeed depend on a particular operating system and/or specific hardware. Even though there are standards, there are variations within those standards.

One piece of software will not be the silver bullet for everyone. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

Another problem - terminology. Terminology has created more than one miscommunication and will continue to do so. Its not solely the property of computers. I've seen it in car discussions and home building discussions. I've seen heated arguments where it turns out that both sides were saying the same thing - terminology tripped them up.

I'm sure you thought "migration" software was a simple question. Weren't you suprised how deep it goes? Your definition differs from others. Thats why its important to be specific when you can.

kinda like coffee: Go into a coffee shop and ask for a cup of coffee. Do you want regular or decaf? Flavored? Dark roast? Hard to find "just coffee" anymore

Old 11-14-03, 11:24 AM
Absolutely, I'm in total agreement with BobF here. He was not trying to scold you, or offend you, or criticize you in any way - he just wanted you to understand that we are all professionals trying to help out others when and where we can.

The other thing about computers, that Bob didn't touch on, is that you can't express emotions very easily through text. I can type all day long one sarcasm after another, but you may read into my sarcasm as criticism - another may read it for exactly what it is, a pun or a joke. Even with smilies and other goofy expressions, it's still hard to tell exactly what one's emotions are when they are writing.

That being said, I understand exactly where you are coming from - your posts says "It seems that you have not had experience with migration software, and racraft doesn't even know what migration software is, but you both offer advice on it." Which is all true - but, when I read that, my first though was that you were just being a jack ass - however, it's very clear from your last post that that is not what you meant at all. You were simply stating the facts, and suggesting that they do some reading on the subject - nothing wrong with that.

As BobF mentioned, migration software may have seemed like a simple question to you, but there are a lot of variables to consider - just like most issues that concern computers.

So, that being said, let's start from the beginning - now that we all have a clearer understanding of what migration software is, let's hear what exactly you have and why you want to use migration software to change it (or upgrade it.) Tell us what you're working with now, and what you plan to use in the future - then we will make some suggestions for you. Some of those suggestions may involve migration software - but, more than likely, you simply won't need it.

I'm sure Chris and Robert have no ill feelings toward you - you have appologized, that's good enough for me - if they still don't lik it, they'll get over it There's no reason to completely leave the forums though.

Hope to hear back from you soon.