goback

Old 11-14-03, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
goback

Hello
I've gotten a lot of observations about this program from awful to great and am beginnig to wonder if it depends on the machine and its operating system. I have a basic pc-H.P. pavilion and run win 98 se. When I installed it, the ticking as it worked on the hard drive sounded like defrag- loud.
I got it so I could explore and learn and if I made an error could probably correct it. It takes up 10 % of the h-drive which is 10 g so I'm losing 1g, correct?
I also heard it messes with ram and I only have 192 mb-that is only hearsay-
I'd love to reinstaall so I can learn about the registry and other sensitive areas; not so much changing anything,just looking and learning. I don't want to look for trouble however, so, how safe is it?
Thanx,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 04:00 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It can be a memory and resource hog. I have tried it, and didn't like it. I would not depend on it for emergencies. If you are wanting to learn, there are alot of good resources on the net. just do a search for say, "windows 98 registry" or something similar. If you have a restore disk, that is great. you can always simply restore the drive if you mess it up. If you don't have one, then at least have a copy of the operating system, preferrably bootable. that way, if worse came to worse, you could just reinstall the os. If not bootable, then at least have a couple boot disks handy.I'm not sure, but it may have a reinstall section/partition already on the hard drive. Someone else might know. if you plan on messing with things, odds are good that something will screw up, and you will have to fix it. May be easy, may be hard, but with the restore disk or os, you can fix it. never be afraid of messing up the computer, just be sure that you can fix it. Best way to learn is get in there and do it. Make sure that there isn't anything important on it that you couldn't afford to lose, and try to have all the drivers handy, like for sound,video,modem,network, etc. you could also use a backup/restore program to copy the drive, then if it gets a little screwy, just reinstall from the backup. Some of the best learning experiences come from "messin around" with the settings. Good luck.

Old 11-14-03, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
goback

I like the answer, straight forward.
In my compuserve forum I have people who say they would not run a system w/o it so it's asubjective deal.
I think I'll keep the drive clean and simple-my recovery disk is easy if necessary like you say
Thanx for the help.
Pete

Old 11-14-03, 05:50 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad to help. I love "tinkering" with the computer. It really is the best way to learn. I have been able to keep it down to around the time i know i'm going to reformat anyway, so that helps. I also learned to keep a current backup(just good practice) just in case. I have a good friend who was computer tech trained in the army, and when he got out(years ago) he couldn't believe all the things I could do to a computer. he had no idea. Formal/book training is good, but to really understand it, and get the most out of it, you just got to tinker. have fun and good luck!