GateWay Essential

Old 11-14-03, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GateWay Essential

I am getting ready to update my 77 year old mom's Gateway Essential 733C PC. Going to do the following.
New 30 gig hard drive
Windows XP.
Increase mem to 256
Install CD writer

I'm thinking making the new hard drive the master than then clean install XP. Reinstall all her programs from her install disks and then move her data over from the old hardrive. (slave) I know Gateway is a little weird so that is why I'm posting. I could also use Ghost to copy her old drive to the new, switch the new to master and Upgrade her Wiindows ME to XP. She has lost her #1 install disk for her computer, but I see Gateway has Xp drivers on their net. Would like any advice you guys can offer.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 02:06 PM
Can this PC handle XP?

Old 11-14-03, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gateway says yes

Old 11-14-03, 02:21 PM
My opinion is that one shuld never do an upgrade installation, but rather always do a clean installation. I would go the master slave route you propose.

I would go higher on the memory if you can. XP loves memory.

Old 11-14-03, 03:42 PM
tae
According to gateway, if it was purchased 6/01/01 or later, the upgrade to xp should be fine. By upgrade, i mean moving from the older operating system to the newer xp. If it was purchased from 10/01/00 to 5/31/01 ,then "The PC can be upgraded to XP with significant potential functionality loss. " Hopefully you are in the first category. It sounds like you have it worked out pretty good. I would also do a clean install of xp. try to make sure you have all the necessary drivers for all your hardware before you begin. Things like sound,video,modem,networking, and possible motherboard drivers. it looks like Gateway has a pretty good download section, so you should be ok. I would download the ones you need, and burn them to disk, so you could use them again if you ever needed to.
Here is a good place to look if you can't find the xp driver you need at gateway.
http://www.driverguide.com/indexddc.htm

And remember that alot of time, windows 2000 drivers will work in xp if you get stuck. You shouldn't have to much trouble. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 11-14-03, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh Oh, might be a problem, per the serial number it was shipped 2/19/2001. I wonder if it is worth a try. Funny when we talked to Gateway to order a setup disk they said they were not available and we should upgrade to XP for over $200.

Old 11-14-03, 05:25 PM
Windows XP upgrade is commonly available for around $100 for the home edition. You simply have to be able to provide an older installation or its disc for it to install clean on a fresh drive.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-03, 05:30 PM
tae
this was based on the "essentials" type. Look here to be sure.
http://support.gateway.com/xpupgrade..._upgrade.shtml

i didn't see anything about the computer itself, but i think that they mean some components will absolutely need at minimum software upgrades, and the computer itself may perform alot slower. By adding the new drive and mem, that should help. Hopefully, you wont need any hardware upgrades.
from microsoft, here's the requirements for xp:
PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Old 11-14-03, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks everyone for all the help. I will let you know how the upgrade goes.

Old 11-18-03, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The upgrade was a partial success. Tried three different types of memory until I found one that would work. Took some time but it worked. Could not install XP to the new hard drive as a slave so I upgraded the original drive that had ME. It is working great but need to upgrade some of moms programs. Thinking I will use Ghost to mirror the old drive to the new. Will let you know how it works.

Old 11-19-03, 05:46 AM
When upgrading existing programs, check with the vendor's web sites to see if there are simple patches to make them run properly on XP.

Many times, simply transporting programs to XP without reinstalling them produces problems. Reinstalling them should help. Many times XP will give you an error if there is some problem with installing the older program under XP. In this case, you can do some research to resolve the problem.

The installation won't proceed to a slave drive, likely because Windows may not boot from a slave. A bootloader needs to have something on the master drive in order to direct the bootstrap process.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-03, 05:47 AM
What you wanted to do was to install the new drive as the primary drive and install XP to that drive.

Upgading the drive that contained Windows MyEnemy was a mistake. Mom will eventually pay the price for this mistake.