Computer display

Old 11-14-03, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer display

My other computer will not accept colour setting above 16 colours My grandson has a game which says it wants 256 colours but every time we set it to 256 it just reverts back to 16 again. Also having a lot of problem with the puter freezing up a lot.
In system properties> device manager it shows a 'other devices' a USB device with the yellow ?! which when I delete comes back every time we reboot. Further down the 'USB controllers are all ok.
Can any one help here ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 10:11 PM
silentmystic
Visiting Guest
Huh

I had this problem before also. To tell the truth the computer always switched it back to what it uses. Although with mine NOW it will 'click' a switch the colors automaticly back and forth. Is the game in its own window box or does it take up the full screen and look like thats the only program you use (like a full page game only)?

Old 11-14-03, 10:49 PM
If you will re-install the drivers for the video card and the monitor and make sure you have all the current updates, that would rule out corrupt files. On the USB, disconnect whatever USB device you have currently connected and reinstall the drivers for the device. Driver files are quite often the culprits in these problems.

Computer freezing up - scandisk, defrag, anti-virus, ad aware in the safe mode. Then reboot. To get to safe mode, hold the F5 key down while the computer boots.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-03, 11:11 PM
Colours

The game won't play with out 256 colours and the computer insists on rebooting before it will accept the colours which of course it doesn't accept even althought I have checked the 'apply the new colors settings wiothout restarting'.
So I end up going around in circles.
He has several other games on the puter too. He's only 9 but already spends too much time on the puter now.

Old 11-15-03, 08:18 AM
Have you re-installed?

Old 11-15-03, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The game won't play with out 256 colours and the computer insists on rebooting before it will accept the colours which of course it doesn't accept even althought I have checked the 'apply the new colors settings wiothout restarting'.
So have you tried restarting when it ask you to? You never know, that might work - especially if you have an older video card that requires restarting - the "accept new without restart" setting is an OS feature, it has nothing to do with the actual hardware. So it could be that your hardware requires a restart.

You could also try changing the settings from Safe Mode to see if they take effect the next time you reboot.

As Chris mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to re-install the drivers too.

The USB device is probably requiring drivers to run properly - right-click it and click Properties, it will tell you what's wrong.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-03, 06:56 PM
Display

I tried to change the settings in safe mode but I wasn't given any option it was set to 16 bit with no other option available.

Old 11-21-03, 08:15 PM
You cannot change the setting is Safe Mode because no drivers are loaded in Safe Mode. That would include no video drivers.

Old 11-21-03, 08:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, that's right, I didn't think about that.

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Display Adapter (Video Card) in Control Panel. Or, uninstall it, then restart Windows, it will reinstall for you - or ask for the disk.