Odd Problem

Old 11-19-03, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Odd Problem

Question? I have one computer, a desktop, in my house connected to one phone jack for my dsl service. Lately when I go to shut down my computer a promprt comes up and ask "Would I like to disconnect the other user/computer" Why am I getting this message if I only have one computer with one connection in my house? Is someone connecting via remotely form somewhere else? Please help thank you....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 10:24 AM
Do you have a firewall?

Old 11-19-03, 11:47 AM
It may be that another connection exists, someone is connected to your computer or your computer is connected elsewhere through one of your ports.

Any computer that is connected all the time, that is DSL or cable, should have a firewall. Firewalls are either programs to perform the function or a component of a router's function.

If you are running Windows, a single port router would provide the most reliable firewall. Some anti-virus programs can provide firewall protection as a part of the package.

Do you run current anti-virus protection on your computer? Another requirement for being connected to the internet, at all. IMHO A trojan horse could be the reason that another connection could exist.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-03, 12:21 PM
Turn off internet connection sharing if you have that enabled.

Old 11-19-03, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you're running an NT/XP version of Windows, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and look under the USERS tab - it will tell you who all is connected to your computer. Also, if you have Sharing enabled on any of your drives, you could get that message.

Try running Sygate's Personal Firewall - it's free and available at <a href="http://www.sygate.com">Sygate.com</a>.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-03, 03:59 PM
I have a firewall on my computer, but it is ZoneAlarm. And as everybody knows, that is a software firewall. Not a hardware firewall. I am going to be starting a home network very soon. I bought a Belkin 4 port cable router. It comes with hardware firewall. Which from what I understand, its the best kind of firewall you can have because it does its work before the internet get to your computer. The built in firewall on the router is called, NAT fire wall, which stands for Network Address Translation. Nat firewall monitors all transmitions coming into the router, and only lets through what you want to get through! The router allows me to serve internet to up to 255 devices. Combind with that, I can also start a home network! Even if you are not going to have a network started or if your not going to serve internet to another computer, if you are knowlidgable about computer, I would buy a router if I were you. You can get them brand new at cheaper prices on ebay, that way don't have to spend from 50 to 80 bucks. Anyone agree with what I am saying so far?

Old 11-19-03, 04:47 PM
I like the firewall function in a router because it is not a program running on a computer. It is firmware. It doesn't crash. It is always there.

There is nothing wrong with a firewall program. As with any other program, make sure it is set up properly. I run a firewall program on my server behind the router as well on my main workstation. Shorewall is nice.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-03, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm with Chris, I also run a software firewall along with my router's NAT.

Besides, if you don't have a router, you have no choice but to run a software firewall. It's better than nothing at all

Old 11-19-03, 07:36 PM
And just what do you think a hardware firewall is if it is not software? It is a software firewall program running on a separate piece of hardware.

The advantage is that it is running on a different piece of equipment, not taking CPU time and other resources on your computer. As for it being better or worse than a software firewall, that all depends on what it is. Just because it is on a separate piece of hardware it is not safer.

NAT is not a firewall. NAT provides some protection, but not enough. Someone can still get into your computer even though you have a NAT device running. If all you have is NAT then you should also run a software firewall on your PC.

Many routers have functionality above and beyond NAT. These devices are true firewall, as they can be set to allow or reject specific web sites, IP addresses or ports.

As has been said above, the best thing is to run a good hardware firewall and a software firewall on each PC.