Windows ME: Eating Memory!!

Old 11-19-03, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Windows ME: Eating Memory!!

I have Windows Me, and you guys got me thinking- so I checked.
The Windows Me c:\restore\archive (for new readers: it's undeletable and unchangable, but makes a copy of everything you type into your computer or sites visited!!) It uses appx.
650 MegaBytes of disk space, and I don't have much!! I shut it off like you said, rebooted, and checked- it still holds that memory
for it's use.
How can I delete it and keep it from coming back? Everytime I turn on the computer it says "LOW SYSTEM MEMORY", I could use this space; you can not change the attributes of the file!!
Please help if you can!!
Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 09:37 PM
tae
About me's system restore:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Close all open programs. Then, right-click My Computer on
the Windows desktop
Click Properties.
Click the Performance tab.
Click File System.
Click the Troubleshooting tab.
Check Disable System Restore.
Ok your way out.
Click Yes to restart. This disables the System Restore feature
and will purge the contents of the _RESTORE folder when the system is restarted.

To manually adjust the size of the Data Store, follow these steps:

In Control Panel, click System.
Click the Performance tab.
Click the File System button.
On the Hard Disk tab, adjust the System Restore disk space use slider to the preferred size

How it works
If you have 200MB or more of free disk space, System Restore will work in every new installation in WinMe. It stuffs that free space with "snapshots" of your system installation from one to three weeks back.
There's one automatic snapshot for every 10 hours your system is on, and one for every 24 hours of real time that passes. In addition, you can take a snapshot whenever you choose to like right before that scary new shareware installation.

Old 11-19-03, 09:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How can I delete it and keep it from coming back? Everytime I turn on the computer it says "LOW SYSTEM MEMORY", I could use this space; you can not change the attributes of the file!!
System Memory refers to RAM, not Hard Drive space. Turning off System Restore is not going to help that - well, to an extent it will.

You probably have too many background programs running. Try shutting down some of these. Also, make sure you run Anti-Virus software regularly, run AdAware and SpyBot S&D regularly, run ScanDisk and Defrag regularly.

Another thing that would help is to go to Start/Run and type MSCONFIG - look on the Startup tab and see if there are any programs there that you don't need, if you're not sure what's what, feel free to ask. If you see a long list of programs there, then running the programs mentioned above will probably help.

If you absolutely have to have the programs you run in the background, then you should consider upgrading your RAM.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-03, 05:57 PM
Thanks!!

Thank You for the tips, I'll try them and let you know what happens, I have to make this computer last another year. I know I don't have enough ram or hard space, but I have even less $ for a new one!!!

Old 11-21-03, 09:33 PM
Just a pieace of advise. When you someday do get money for lots of memmory, make sure you get the exact same kind that is in your computer now. There is many different kinds of memmory and buying the wrong kind can waste money! To find out what kind of memmory you have look in your manual that shows your motherboard specifications. If you lost your manual, you can find out by taking the memmory that is in your computer now, and read whats on it. You could also do a search on the internet. But its eaiser to do the first two first.