Flash BIOS

Old 10-15-03, 02:06 PM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
Question Flash BIOS

I have a locally built computer that I am upgrading. I've added more memory and faster CPU. Need to update BIOS since motherboard seems to date back to 1999. New video card doesn't work and their tech support suggested updating BIOS.

First, how do I know which update to use? There are 9 of them at the download site of DFI (motherboard mfg). Do I have to do all of them or just the latest one?

Thanks.

Old 10-15-03, 02:33 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check the PCB Revision, but other than that, just use the latest update (the one at the top of the page.)

It would help to know your Mobo Model and revision.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-03, 07:51 PM
tae
First, i would start with the latest drivers for the board. Then if you have to,update the bios,but be sure you understand how to do it, and how to save the old bios in case you need to reinstall. I once flashed a bios with the incorrect version, and lost my built in network adapter. I was just one number off bios version. Incorrect flashing can render the computer unusable. If you dont feel comfortable with this, let a professional do it. Do you have your bios numbers? Board numbers? We would need all the info to make a recommendation.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downlo...&INDEX_TYPE=MB

Old 10-16-03, 04:15 AM
B
wow, this sounds familiar

I went through this last year. I rebuilt a system and am still using win98. After months of emails and trials, the card mfg finally admitted that their techs couldn't make their card work under win98 either. The literature said it would work in win98.

I, too, had gotten all the latest drivers and bios. Fiddled with many bios options. Nothing worked.

I switched video cards (different mfg) and it all works fine.

Bottom line - don't spend too much more time. Try a different card.

Old 10-16-03, 10:08 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
My board is a P2XBL Rev D. I did update the BIOS with the latest one just this morning. I had some problems with losing some things that Windows couldn't find, but I just stayed calm and finally have everything running fine.

I am going to try installing the new video card this evening. It is GeForce2 MX400. Everything seems to indicate that it should run on my system, so I'm going to give it another try. I'll post back when I see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Old 10-16-03, 06:30 PM
tae
Glad everything worked out! Good luck, and yes, let us know how it goes.

Old 10-21-03, 08:40 PM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
I tried installing the card again, but the computer still wouldn't boot up. We moved over the week-end so I've been a little busy

The cable company came out today to connect me to cable internet. During the installation he found that one of my *.dll files is missing. He got his installation to work finally, but I'll have to reinstall Win98 to replace the missing file. Maybe this has something to do with the video card not installing.

Now my new problem. Since we still have boxes and boxes of stuff, I can't get my hands on things very easily. I do have the Win98 2nd edition upgrade cd handy because I kept it with the video card just in case. But I don't have the Microsoft numbers needed to install. That is safely packed in a box. I had put the cd in a hard case to protect it.

So, are the numbers I need somewhere in my computer since Win98 is already installed and where do I find it? I'm sure this is something I should know, but can't remember. Hope someone has an answer because I have lots of boxes piled up.

Thanks

Old 10-21-03, 09:03 PM
tae
1. Click START | RUN. 2. In the open box type REGEDIT and press Enter. You will see a window that is labeled "Registry Editor". 3. Locate the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and click on the plus "+" to the left of it. 4. Locate the folder "SOFTWARE" click on the plus "+" sign to the left of it. 5. Locate the folder "MICROSOFT" click on the plus "+" sign to the left it. 6. Locate the folder "WINDOWS" click on the plus "+" sign to the left of it. 7. Locate the folder "CURRENT VERSION" and click on the folder icon. 8. Look on the right side of the registry editor window. You will see many entries organized into "NAME" and "DATA" columns. You are looking for the "VALUE", under the "NAME" called "PRODUCTKEY". The Product Key is located to the right. It will be similar to this; Productkey "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" Write the code down. Click the close button, the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the "Registry Editor" window.

Old 10-21-03, 09:41 PM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
Hi tae

Wow!! Thank you so much. This is something I didn't know and just forgot. I wouldn't have ever found this on my own. You replied so fast and thoroughly.

Any chance you know where I put my computer glasses so I'd know right where to find them? I've been looking for 3 days and haven't a clue. I'm getting a sore neck holding my head at an angle to read thru the bifocal.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-22-03, 03:48 AM
C
If you need only a single *.dll you can often find them on the internet.

Or you can extract the file from Windows *.cab files this way. From the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 129605

In Windows
To extract files in Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition, use the System File Checker tool. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sfc, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Extract one file from installation disk.
4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive:\windows\path\file (where drive is the drive where the Windows folder is installed, generally drive C, path is the destination of the file that you are extracting, and file is the file that you want to extract).
5. Click Start, click Browse next to the Restore from box, and then locate the Windows installation files. By default, in the OEM version of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition the installation files are on the hard disk in the C:\Cabs folder. With a retail full version or upgrade version, you can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then locate the Windows installation files. The folder is named "Win9x". For example, if your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is D:, the folder is named "D:\Win9x". For Windows 98, the folder is named D:\Win98.
6. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-03, 04:28 PM
tae
try looking under the bed beside the wall!

Glad to help.

Old 11-24-03, 07:59 AM
Barbara
Visiting Guest
I just want to thank all of you for your previous help. We have moved into the new house and haven't had any time to give you final update.

I took care of the missing dll. Tried installing sound card and it still didn't work. Decided it was the card and not the computer. Returned card and bought ATI Radeon 9000. Put it in and everything worked perfectly.

So thanks again for all your help. Oh! I did find my computer glasses finally.

Barb

Old 11-24-03, 10:45 AM
Good Job!!!

I read your whole post! I found it very interesting! On my old computer I had a simular problem but I did not know if it was the video cards fault or not. All I knew was, when I installed it I could not get a picture. If anyone is wondering what kind of computer I have now read the before and after specs.

OLD COMPUTER SPECS
P3 533MHZ 128MB RAM 20GIG HD

NEW COMPUTER SPECS
P4 1GIGHZ 1GIG RAM 80GIG HD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: