copy drive

Old 11-21-03, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
copy drive

I'm trying to Ghost a scsi HDD from an old pc to a new ide drive on a newer pc. Problem - the OS is Windows 2000 , so when i install the new drive - boot error. i know 2000 is terrible for this but any ideas out there.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-03, 11:07 PM
Ghost makes an exact image of the old drive. Would the old drive boot in the new computer? The old drive is Win 2000, so now the new drive is Win 2000. Depending upon the nature of the computers involved, and you have not said what they are, the new computer may not be able to boot from the configuration that suited the old computer.

Was the old drive the boot drive in the old computer?

Old 11-22-03, 04:36 AM
SCSI Copy

Yes you have an exact copy of the SCSI but if my memory is right the Boot.ini entries for SCSI and IDE partitions are differnet. I have not used SCSI in years so sorry if I am wrong. If that is the case then Win2K will not be able to locate the partitions. There may be other issues as well. You might have to do FDISK/MBR on copy to rebuild Master Boot Record.

Good Luck and I will be interested in your fix if you find one.

Old 11-22-03, 07:09 AM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
When you install Windows on a computer, everything that is recorded in the registry is specific to that computer so unless the new computer is exactly like the old one, parts and all, Windows on the old drive won't work with a new computer. That is if you're trying to boot the old drive in the new computer.

Old 11-22-03, 01:32 PM
cont'd

The computers are new Compaq Deskpro EN 733 and old is a Compaq Proliant server 333 Mhz i believe. Don't think it raelly makes a diff. i believe the problem is in the OS and\or boot sequence. Is there a way to ghost with a new MBR? And I have tried booting with the old drive and the new and same boot error as I expected.

Old 11-22-03, 03:30 PM
have you used Ghost b4?

I don't know much about Ghost or scsi HDDs. But I've looked into upgrading to a bigger drive in a rebuilt win98 computer.
The copy software I was looking at didn't presume to copy the boot sectors.

That said, have you used Ghost before?

Also - I would guess these computers are quite different. Compaq is very proprietary. Add to that how fast the industry advances, and i would think the "innards" are very different.
Do they even use the same cpu?

Old 11-22-03, 06:17 PM
Ghost makes an exact image of the old drive, including any bootstrap information in the MBR (Master Boot Record). It should be that if you FDISK /mbr with the HD in the new computer, you will have a bootble HD. Fdisk is available on a Windows 98 boot disk or rescue disk.

With the new HD installed as master, boot the new computer with a Win98 boot or rescue diskette, then run the command FDISK /MBR. This will rebuild the master boot record. The HD should now boot upon restart. Remove the floppy before re-booting.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-03, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not a SCSI expert - so I've stayed out of this. But, I have an idea I'll throw out - what if you boot from the Win2k install disk (or floppies, if you have to) and reinstall Win2k over itself?

Is it like WinXP where it re-writes the MBR and boot sectors?

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-03, 07:31 PM
rasguy1
Visiting Guest
Your BOOT.INI file is hosed.

Rebuild your MBR then you will need to edit the BOOT.INI file to reflect an IDE drive - this is not a problem with WINDOWS - this behavior is as expected.

Windows (specifically Ntldr) uses the Boot.ini file to determine the operating system options to display during the startup (boot) process. Boot.ini is flagged as a read-only system file by default and should not require any manual modification. To change the contents of this file easily, use the System tool in Control Panel. You can edit it in NOTEPAD if you like.

The following is a typical Boot.ini file:
[boot loader] timeout=30 default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt

[operating systems] scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt = "Windows NT" /NODEBUG C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:\"

The following list describes the data in the preceding Boot.ini file:
"Timeout" specifies the amount of time Windows waits before choosing the default operating system

"Default" specifies the default operating system.

"Scsi(0)" means that the primary controller (usually the only one) is responsible for the device. If there were two SCSI cards and the disk was hanging off the second one, it would be named "scsi(1)".

NOTE: If the system uses IDE, EIDE, ESDI drives, or a SCSI adapter with no built in BIOS replace "SCSI" with "Multi".
"disk(0)" refers to physical disk 1.

The rdisk() parameter refers to which SCSI logical unit (LUN) to use, which could be a separate disk, but the vast majority of SCSI setups have only one LUN for each SCSI ID.

"Partition(1)" in this example is the only partition on the first drive in the computer. If there were two partitions, C and D, C would be partition(1) and D would be partition(2).

Multi-boot will look at the \Winnt folder to boot from one of the specified SCSI card's disk and partition.

/NODEBUG specifies that there's no debugging information being monitored. Debugging information is only useful for developers and does slow down Windows NT.

The /SOS switch can be added to display driver names while they are being loaded during the Windows boot. By default, the OS Loader screen only echos progress dots.

The "Previous Operating System on C:\" parameter implies that it is MS-DOS, because "C:\" is an MS-DOS path.

On the OLD PC - boot it up, and then open File EXPLORER to reset the permissions on BOOT.INI FROM HIDDEN/Read Only to Not Hidden and Read/write. COPY Boot.INI to Boot.OLD. Open Boot.INI in NOTEPAD and change the SCSI section to MULTI. Save the file, re-image the machine, then restore the old BOOT.INI.

Last edited by rasguy1; 11-23-03 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-23-03, 07:51 PM
Forget editing boot.ini or redoing the mbr. The reason the thing won't work is you do not have the same hardware on the destination as on the original computer.

You said the cpu speeds are different, one disk is scsi, the other is ide. Forget it - Ghost won't work. End of story.

Old 11-23-03, 08:59 PM
tae
From Symantec: ( i assume the reverse would also be true)
Exception for switching between IDE and SCSI drives
When you clone an image of a Windows NT/2000/XP computer that has an IDE drive to a computer that has a SCSI drive, the computer may have problems accessing the drive after cloning. That is, Windows NT/2000/XP are dependent upon drivers for the appropriate drive type, and switching drive types may cause you to lose access to the drive on the destination computer.

Restoring to many computers
If you are planning to create an image and restore it on multiple computers with different hardware, it is best to do a little pre-clone preparation. At the source computer, copy the installation files from the Windows 95, 98, or NT installation CD to the hard drive. Then, install the operating system from those files. After the system has been set up, remove the hardware that you know may cause a problem from the Device Manager before creating the image. As long as you remove the devices, shut down the computer, then create the image without restarting into Windows, the destination computers will automatically detect the appropriate hardware and install the appropriate drivers.

If you installed Windows from the installation CD, rather than by copying the files to the drive before installation, you will need the Windows installation CD so Windows can access its library of drivers.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...st&svy=&csm=no

Old 11-23-03, 10:01 PM
Sorry to disagree, but just the fact of a different CPU will make it impractical to use ghost or any other imaging software. Also, the fact that the source disk is scsi and the destination IDE. This means the source disk has drivers, registry settings etc relating to the scsi adapter and scsi disk(s). This will produce HUGE problems when trying to boot the new system, which is IDE, when it can't find these scsi devices.

Note I said 'Impractical'. It may well be possible to fix all the incompatabilities, but I think you would save time doing it from scratch. Format and reinstall everything.

Old 11-23-03, 11:17 PM
tae
disagree about what? my post was taken directly from symantec(who make ghost) . They ought to know! A different cpu should have NO effect. I have personally ghosted from / to different cpu computers without problem. They do say however that going from ide to scsi(or the reverse) will probably cause problems. The rest of it has to do with other hardware, like video or sound drivers, etc.

Last edited by tae; 11-23-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 04:22 AM
you agree in part

Sounds like everyone agrees that the problem is scsi to ide.

Which leads back to what I said in my post - don't rely on Ghost (or any other image software) to create the mbr. Use the system disk to create the mbr.

Old 11-24-03, 02:56 PM
tae
If it's really that important, couldn't you get a SCSI Host Bus Adapter Card, and mount the old drive into the new computer?

Old 11-24-03, 03:33 PM
" A different cpu should have NO effect."

Sorry again, but a different cpu USUALLY means different drivers. Now these drivers live on the hard disk. So USUALLY you will have problems. Added to this, if the cpu is different, then the motherboard will OFTEN be different too. This will certainly spoil your day! And what about Pentium to Celeron etc etc?

I have cloned several hundred desktop machines using Ghost. I have found that the ONLY really RELIABLE way to ensure success is when the source and destination hardware is identical, excepting ONLY disk size and memory size.

And before you go on about "Wrong, wrong, I did it and it worked!" - I know it will SOMETIMES work with different hardware. But what we SHOULD be about here is providing solutions that work ALL OF THE TIME.

Old 11-24-03, 04:43 PM
tae
My final say

lol. NO solution works all of the time. Remember, it's computers we are talking about. What we are about is getting to a solution to the problem. Not arguing about sometimes and maybe. I think we all agree that it would be alot of work to get it to work,but the big problem is the scsi to ide issue. The cpu issue may be a problem, and might not be. And, ghost is designed to be used across networks. Ever see a large corporate network where all the computers were identical? Not me, and i have seen some large ones.