export registry

Old 11-24-03, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
export registry

Hello
I run win 98 se and am having trounle getting information as to how i can export the registry to the desktop so I will have it in case I make a mistake.
Iam getting directions to run regedit the collapse my computer. Then click on registry and simply export the registry but my ine is not cofigured that way.
I have a H.P. pavilion 6630.
Thank you
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-03, 03:46 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Importing and Exporting with the Registry Editor

The Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) has Import and Export features in the Registry menu. Any highlighted registry key (or all the keys) can be exported (which creates a text file with the .reg extension) and later imported. This feature can be very useful at times, but it should not be used as a way to restore the registry. The reason for this is that an import is an additive function. Registry keys/values/data that are in the imported file will be replaced but registry keys/values/data that are not in the imported file will not be removed from the registry. Therefore, the "bad stuff" isn't necessarily removed from the registry when an import is carried out.

To restore the registry reboot, hold down the Ctrl key until the Startup menu appears, choose Command prompt only and enter

scanreg /restore

at the C:\> prompt. Select a backup (with the arrow keys) that predates the problem and hit the Enter key. When done hit the Enter key again to activate a restart of your computer.

Note: If holding down the Ctrl key as the machine boots does not bring up the Startup menu, reboot and continually tap on the F8 key until the menu appears. Not all machines recognize the CTRL key method.

How to Make a Backup From Windows

Nothing could be easier, just go to Start, select Run, enter scanregw and click OK. This will run Scanregw.exe. A Registry scan will take place followed by a "Registry Scan Results" dialog which will appear asking if you want to backup the Registry. Click Yes and you're all done. Your oldest backup will be replaced with the new one.

How to Make a Backup From DOS

Reboot the computer to the DOS boot menu (see "How to Start in DOS" below). Select Command Prompt Only and at the DOS prompt (C:\>) type "scanreg /backup" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Use Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys to reboot and go back to Windows.

Note: there is no requirement to make a backup from DOS - the same backup is created from Windows. However, a restore MUST ALWAYS be done from DOS.

Old 11-24-03, 05:22 PM
export registry

Thanx for the tips-is there a way to export the registry itself,not the keys, to desk top?
Pete

Old 11-24-03, 06:01 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To export a REG file using Registry Editor
In Registry Editor, select the branch or subkey that you want to export.
On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the folder in which you want to save the REG file.
Enter the new file name.
Click Save.
The Registry Editor creates a REG file containing the information of the selected branch.
By default, the Registry Editor exports only the active branch. .You can export the whole registry by selecting All in the Export range section, but keep the file size in mind.

To manually back up the registry using Registry Checker
On the Start menu, click Run.
Type scanregw.exe, and click OK.
First Registry Checker verifies that the registry is structurally sound. If the registry is sound, Registry Checker offers to back it up. Registry Checker will back up the registry and store the compressed CAB file in \Windows\Sysbckup (a hidden directory).

The Scanreg.ini file can be modified to backup where ever you want. The line: BackupDirectory=

Changes the location of the backup folder where the CAB files are stored.
For example, BackupDirectory=C:\RegBackup

Old 11-25-03, 03:29 AM
expotr registry

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. I was led to believe you can export the whole registry and now I have what I need. I keep a folder with new information to study.
Pete