gateway laptop wont work

Old 12-03-03, 07:20 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
gateway laptop wont work

argh my laptop won't start up, in that the power up leds light, but I get no hard drive sound and no screen image. I think the hd is busted? Everything else seems to work cd/dvd bay will open and the cpu vent feels warm ? Did I break it already?

Thanks-Josh

Old 12-03-03, 08:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With no video at all, at any stage, it must be a video problem, at least.

I don't know how much noise your hard drive normally makes. Does the hard drive activity indicator light come on?

If the CD - DVD drives run, then drivers must have been loaded when the computer booted. If you put a disk in them, do the lights come on and can you hear them run? Therefore, the hard drive must be intact. The drivers for these are on the hard drive.

The door to the CD - DVD drive is spring loaded on a laptop and will open even if the unit is off.

Is it still under warranty? If so, call the supplier or manufacturer who holds the warranty. A video card might not be too expensive if it is separate. A new screen can easily cost as much as 50% of the price of a laptop.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-03, 02:36 AM
M
Laptop

This may not help but try removing the battery and disconnect power. Sometimes laptops can get in a lock up mode that can only be cleared by removing the batter and allowing it to reset. This may not be your problem but is worth a try.

Also have you tried an external monitor to see if maybe LCD screen might have quit?

Old 12-04-03, 11:38 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
tried an externall CRT and no luck. the hard drive indicator use light used to come on for quite awhile when starting up and I could hear it spinning, but now nothing.

Gateway technical support-dont get me started! -Josh

Old 12-04-03, 07:36 PM
C
Just in time for Christmas.

Sounds as if it is history.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: