ATI Video Card

Old 11-26-03, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ATI Video Card

To anyone that is wondering about my network connection, your answer is that it was succesful!!!

I bought a new ATI Video card for my living room computer.
Specs are... AMD Duron 850MHZ 512MB RAM 20GIG HD with
WIN 2000 installed.

New Video Card is a ATI Radeon 7000 64MB PCI

My problem is that my video card does not want to run on any PCI slot but the middle slot. However the problem is that my network card wants to use that slot too! I have tried every configuration by trying the two cards in different slots out of the 3 availible slots. I reapeet, I have tried every possible configuration by trying both the cards in different slots. Nothing works. What i mean by this not working is that the computer will not load windows and the screen stays blank after that.

And Yes I have already went into the bios! And everything was on AUTO which is where it should be set from factory setting which have allways worked with the old card! There was a option in the bios to reset ESCD incase a serious conflict happened! I did that and that did not help. Incase I have not said this yet the old video card and the network card have allways worked fine together! Old card in top slot. Network card is in the middle slot. Infact because of this greate combination is the reason I am able to talk to you on my living room computer.

Thats right you hurd me right! I am on my living room computer on my new network!!! YEAY.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-03, 12:15 AM
tae
Put your video card where ever it will work. Uninstall the network card, shut off the computer, then pull the network card out. Reboot. Check and make sure it is uninstalled. read the instructions that came with it, and make sure the inf files for it are gone. Mess around a little, then reboot. Then turn it off,install network card, and windows should detect it. Either let windows install it, or use the software that came with it.

Old 11-27-03, 02:49 PM
I see what your saying but thats not going to help in my situation. In order for the card to work it must be in the middle slot. Now the computer will run with the new video card as long as the network card is not in the computer. And as I said before, the network card also wants to be in the middle slot cause the only place it can work. I think its more of the function of what my board can support. When you buy a new motherboard they allways come with a cd with drivers on it for you board. So I slipped in that cd and I went into the VGA folder and looked at driver section for Windows 2000. I read the readme file. Nowhere on that readme did it mention the ATI RADEON7000 video card. Which is starting to make me think that this board does not support this card. Remember what I said in my last post? I said that the computer runs fine with the old video card which is older than this computer is! Its a 1MB S3 Herculies video card. I have a list of cards that my video card supposedly supports bellow. Tell me if I can get a better card than a Geforce2 in here because the Geforce2 does not have 64MB video memmory. And I need a video card with at least 64MB video memmory to run all the new games! Please help me with this. I am sure there is a way through this!

Adapters supported
------------------
NVIDIA RIVA TNT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra
NVIDIA Vanta
NVIDIA Vanta LT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro
NVIDIA Aladdin TNT2
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA GeForce DDR
NVIDIA Quadro
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro

Old 11-27-03, 03:13 PM
Here is the W2000 driver for the video card, if you don't have the driver for W2000

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...=12&submit.y=6

Here is a FAQ on Black screen in W2000 after installing Radeon 7000 PCI

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4273.html

Actually, a PCI device should run in any PCI slot.

Do you have W2000 drivers for the network card?

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-03, 03:38 PM
Windows automaticly detected the network card and installed drivers for it, meaning I did not have to install drivers that were located on the floppy disk which came with the network card. I am contacting the manufacture of my mother board. Going to find out what I can do about this. Thanks for the input though!

Old 11-28-03, 07:08 AM
Term

You know how on the small engine board you always tell people to follow instructions given before they do something else? Well you need to follow your own advice. Working on computers is a step by step process. When you perform 10-20 steps all at once with no real knowledge of what you are doing you have no idea what one, two, three or more items could be causing the problem. Follow TAE's suggestion on deinstalling/reinstalling your NIC.

Plodding along is good advice for small engines and computers.

Old 11-28-03, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
EXCELLENT quote in Tea3803's sig - and excellent advice.

I have to agree with Tea and Tae - one of the problems you are having is that the NIC has been installed in that PCI slot (which has a physical address) that Windows has memorized. When you restart the computer with the NIC in another slot - Windows doesn't see it. Windows is looking for it in the middle slot.

You may have to completely uninstall the drivers for both the Vid Card and for the NIC - then restart. Do this with the NIC out of the box - of course, you need a Vid Card to be able to do this. Pop the cards back in where you want - it may be a good idea to do this one card at a time - instead of trying to do everything at one time. Fire up the computer and install the drivers - shut-down and install the next card and fire back up for drivers.

Give that a go and see what happens.

It still may not work - but we'll cross that bridge....

Good luck!

Old 11-28-03, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you go to system, devices and check for IRQ conflicts? Windows 2000 is a little different in assigning IRQ's. There is a ton of info at microsoft web page.

Old 11-28-03, 09:35 AM
Your right Tae. I did exactly what you said and the computer won't boot up. Infact I needed to do a reformat of the hard drive anyway. There was alot of crud on the drive that I could not get rid of normaly so I reformated the drive and you can not even get into the setup with those cards in there. Ya, it never seems to get passed that point. On the initial starup is fine, but as soon as it takes the next step the computer freeses. The next step wwould be the point in which the screen changes to load windows 2000.

Old 11-28-03, 09:44 AM
If you format the hard drive, you should re-install the motherboard drivers from the motherboard setup CD that came with the board.

If you don't have them, you can download them from the manufacturer's website.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-03, 05:57 PM
Have you considered trying a different NIC?
they are as little as $5.
Maybe a different model will request a different iRQ, etc.
I'm guessing the reason for upgrading the video card was for better performance at high-resolution?

gj

Old 12-04-03, 07:20 PM
To anyone who is wondering, I bought a Geforce4 TI video card with 64MB Memmory! And it works in the AMD computer! YEAY!!!