Dell Tech Support

Old 12-02-03, 07:33 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dell Tech Support

From Tom Krazit in 12/01/2003 issue of network world.

Last week, Dell said it has brought some tech support work back to the U.S. after corporate customers complained about the quality of service they were receiving from workers in other countries. The support for Optiplex desktops and Latitude notebooks has moved back to U.S. call centers in Idaho,Texas, and Tennessee, among others. Farming out tech support to other countries,like India and China ,where labor is cheaper, has allowed them to cut costs dramatically.

i know alot of people have complained about this, but it took the big boys to get it done. Notice the "corporate customers".
Does this mean costs are going to go up? Are we willing to pay more for this? I bet the answer is yes!

Old 12-02-03, 10:25 PM
C
Let me tell you how I really feel......

I needed tech support from my ISP on a couple of occasions, and wound up with someone in Hyderabad, India. This such a joke, because these folks are reading from a script, canned questions with canned answers. They don't have a clue.

When I call tech support, I need answers from someone at least as knowledgeable as I am. I will have to admit that none of the tech support at my ISP was all that sharp, even when it was in the United States of America.

I really don't need to talk to some canned reply fish. I called to ask about the DNS server one night. The neophyte on the other end wanted me to restart my computer. He did not know why, it was just on his list. Most of these folks cannot answer questions, they just read from a list of things that they expect you to do.

Does this mean costs are going to go up?
You get what you pay for.

Old 12-03-03, 05:05 AM
B
companies are learning the true costs

What US companies are finding out is that the costs savings aren't as great as they thought. Forget the 14-1 ratio you've read about in the papers. The actual figures are closer to 2-1 (two India employees cost what one US employee does).

Why? Part of it is the culture. They only work their 8 hours and then go home - no OT whatsoever. They also get lots of holidays. And wages are rising. They switch companies for very little (something like 25 cents/hour more or less). That means constantly training new people and training costs are high.

Don't even get me started on the quality issue.

Old 12-03-03, 05:56 AM
R
We as Americans want our services to be cheap. Many of us will go with one brand over another to save a few dollars. But what does it buy us?

To give us that product for a few dollars less than their competition, a company must cut costs. To do this they don't pay much when it comes their call center folks. This means that the employees have no real reason to stick with their company, and go somewhere else whn they get sick of the BS or they are offered more money.

What can we do about it? We can do penty. For starters, we can factor in the call center quality when we make a purchase. If we pay less, we must be willing to accept less in terms of service. Or we must be willing to pay more, if that is what it takes, to get better service down the road.

And finally, we can complain. And we can continue to remind the company why we are not satisfied with them. For example, I will not by Intuit tax preparation software, because of their inferior and inept customer service. I sent them a letter telling them they would no longer get my business, and I remind them of that each time they contact me this year to buy their product.

Old 12-03-03, 11:23 AM
Smile I paid more.

The PC I am using, was built in Jan 06/03.

Rather than guess at where we were then, I enlisted the help of a Small Computer Company in NY State. We chose the parts based on the latest working technology & quality. I of course tore down & rebuilt the entire PC adding round cables & top quality H/S & fans etc.

After the smoke cleared, I tallied up the total & found that I paid $275.00 more than a total Newegg buy. Of course I buy most of my small everyday hardware needs @ Newegg, just don't ask any questions.

My point is, since there was some termoil at that time on MOBOs & the DDR level that was reliable, I needed advice. Advice & more is what I paid for & what I indeed got. I still have parts with a factory 90day warrenty, parts that are still covered until Jan 06/04 buy this Company.

The View Sonic Monitors came as P instead of G models & all was taken care of ASAP +. The Moritors were drop shipped from the Distributor just a simple mistake. I had questions at times that were answered by e-mail right after I wrote, sometimes at 11:00pm.

Will I do this for my next PCs? More than likely. We grow by hand, High quality Speciality Fruits & Vegetables for People who will willingly pay the higher prices. A few will always balk about how they could buy Fruit & Vegetables back in 1975 for pennies on the dollar. My answer is, grow it yourself or pay the price or do without. I get no discounts at the Dentist or even Wally World.

You get what you pay for was a given, once upon a time. What changed?

Old 12-03-03, 06:59 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
Well the problem in general with exporting all computer work to india, or other cheap countries, is that now as a programmer, it makes me worthless. Which ok not a big deal, but if I make less money, then I won't buy as much goods and tech toys, which inturn will ultimatelly hurt the big companies.

I have looked at some coding from some off shore development, and most of it is crap. They have no reason to write good code, or think about the future with performance, etc. So yea, they are cheap, and yea you can save money...in the short term...but long term...it will cost you more money...but then again...I would pay someone 1/5th of my salary to develop something also lol!

Old 12-03-03, 08:31 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
A I cannot understand Indian accents

B Gateways tech support is useless

Im willing to pay alot for quality, evidenced by my growing MAG LITE collection! You pay for quality once, for cheapness forever.

Whats ridiculous is that a 100 million ad campaign all comes down to the 5.75 guy on the floor (in retail) whos main goal is something like try not to fall asleep. Who can blame him? crappy service is set by tone at the top. IF you can recruit execs without stock options/benefits you cant recruit salespeople for 6 bucks an hour. Same thing for customer service, DIRECTV gives service reps free tv all kind of perks AND authority to fix things. Too many middle managers fear giving away their coveted power.

unfortunately stupid people dont appear to be dying off at a fast enough rate.

-Josh

Old 12-04-03, 05:52 AM
R
I'll tell you a funny Dell story. I like Dell computers. I was tasked at work with specifying a new computer to be purchased with Linux installed on it. Doing my research, I was surprised to learn that Dell now sells computers pre-loaded with Red Hat Linux.

During the specification process I had to call and obtain further information. I asked the Dell salesperson my person, and was told that Dell does not sell computers loaded with Linux, they only sell computers loaded with Windows. I had to convince the Dell salesperson that Dell really did sell computers with Linux on them so that I could have my question answered.

Later, our purchasing person had the same problem. The salesperson she spoke with insisted that Dell dioes not sell computers pre-loaded with Linux.

Eventually we received the computer, and all is well, it works great. However, I am still trying to figure out what to do with the disks they sent with it that contain Windows drivers for the hardware.

Old 12-04-03, 10:11 AM
Hi racraft

racraft Said:
I was surprised to learn that Dell now sells computers pre-loaded with Red Hat Linux.

I could be wrong on this, but was there not a Court ruling that said Computer MFRs had to offer other OSs? By other I just mean other than Windows, could be Linux or ??.

This was a ruling against MicroSoft & for the Public who were only able to buy a Windows loaded PC, with no other choices.

I could be all wet on this, but I did read something on a Court judgement that was made in order to level the playing field. When you think about it, with the paper work & help desk support + all drivers. I think more people would try Linux on their home PC if they felt supported.

This is what surprises me.
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5113...l?tag=nefd_top

Last edited by marturo; 12-04-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 06:30 AM
B
Hang in there block97. It will take a few years, but companies will eventually learn that its not good business.

Now they are looking at costs that hit the bottom line. After they get experience and look at the true costs, jobs will return.
How do you put a cost on quality and customer confidence?
Plus offshore costs are rising.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: