problem with iexplorer.exe

Old 12-04-03, 10:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
problem with iexplorer.exe

Something is going on with my pc and I can't figure it out.

I'm running WinXP Home and I surf using msn explorer.

Internet explorer keeps popping up in my taskbar, as if they are a program running. They say... Cannot find server-Microsoft Internet Explorer

If I click on them to maximize it or view it, it flies up to the top lefthand side of my screen into my msn butterfly. But they don't maximize for viewing. They just keep coming, one after the other, about 1 every minute or so. I have dsl connection, so they show up even if I'm not signed into msn. Each morning I get up, there is a stack of anywhere from 25 - 75 sitting there.

I have rebooted, run a virus scan, run spybot, deleted all temporary files and cookies, done a couple defrags, still it keeps coming. If I open my task manager, they are listed under the 'applications' tab as running. If I click on the 'processes' tab, they are being controlled by a process called 'iexplorer.exe'
If I end this process, they all go away, but in a minute, the process pops back up, and here they come again.

If anybody has any idea as to whats going on, give me a clue as how to remedy this. Its driving me nuts.

Thanks

Old 12-05-03, 03:43 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The real file name in Windows is Iexplore.exe. You say you have iexplorer.exe

Here is some information on this Trojan Horse:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/Print99479.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-03, 08:59 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
there are a couple things you can do...if you know how to edit the registry then you can delete references to the program that is controling it. respond back if you think you know how to edit the registry, but do be aware if you accidently delete the wrong thing you could mess up your computer...

the other 'easy way' to get around it...is do a search for

iexplorer.exe

when it finds it, rename it to iexplorer2.exe
DO NOT DELETE IT. This is incase you accidently rename the wrong one.

reboot.

see if it works...

My guess is some program on your machine is running this other program...but if this is what is making all these pop ups...getting rid of it..should help

Old 12-06-03, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I checked with the Symantec site, I'm running Nortons AV, and followed their instructions. Disabled System Restore, ran AV twice, and says its clean. Checked my registry for the bad values, didn't see any of them. Hhhmmmm. Still have the problem so I'll just keep looking around. Hasn't popped up yet this morning so who knows. Thanks again, I'll report back with anything new.

Old 12-06-03, 09:27 AM
Using MSN Explorer

Long shot but check this out

Check to see that IE is not set as your default browser.

Click tools, internet options, programs.

See that IE is not checked as default browser.

Since your running MSN Explorer, just maybe IE wants to run while your working with MSN Explorer.

Well anyway there is a box there thats says to have IE ask if you want it to the the default browser.

This will probable be nothing that will fix it.

Old 12-06-03, 11:58 AM
thanks plumber, that is a good idea too.

Click tools, internet options, programs.
Where is this tools tab located?

Another clue to this problem is this:
I left town over the thanksgiving day holidays to hang a mural in Chicago. When i got back is when I noticed this problem. When I was looking around to find out what was going on, I noticed in my 'internet options' that my home page had been changed to something very suspicious looking. I erased it immediately and changed it back to msn home page. I wish now I had payed more attention to what it was. I suspect my daughter did something on here she shouldn't have. She says she did nothing, I say 'yeah, right'.

Old 12-06-03, 12:56 PM
Open IE and tools tab is on top of the browser.

Old 12-07-03, 02:39 AM
Victoria R
Visiting Guest
iexplorer.exe is a spyware file. There are a couple of things you should do to try and remove this..
Go to http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ when the page loads it has a script that detects if your browser has been hijacked. Since you said your homepage has been changed.

Go to adaware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and dowload it. Once it is downloaded be sure to update it before you scan your computer. The page above is to the link for the free version.
This site http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/fullscan/index.html tells you how to configure adaware to do a full scan.

Dowload hijack this http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/ (review the whole page).
Go to the spywareinfo.com forum (it appears to be down right now. I believe he was moving his servers so you will have to keep checking back) http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ and post the results of the hijack this scan.
OR
You can go to the adaware forums and post your results there.
click here
both these forums are expert at reading the hijack this results and will tell you what should be removed.

HTH
Victoria

Last edited by Victoria R; 12-07-03 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-07-03, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the info.

Further looks prove that I was wrong. I misspelled it. Its not 'iexplorer.exe', but 'iexplore.exe', in which chfite says is normal. But according to the link Victoria posted, it says my pc was hijacked by 'downloadplus' and it says where to find it on my pc. But when I search in the prescribed areas, its not there.

I just don't know. I'm still looking.

Old 12-07-03, 11:17 AM
Victoria R
Visiting Guest
Did you download adaware and run it? If not, you should. It will find any spyware you have..If you do find "downloadplus" and/or any other spyware (and I think you will) and are hesitant to delete anything, post at the adaware forum. Usually anything that adaware finds is safe to delete.

Victoria

Old 12-07-03, 11:24 AM
I have and used 'spybot', always udate before i run it. I ran it, it found just a couple small items, which I deleted, but still got the same problem.

Old 12-07-03, 12:56 PM
Victoria R
Visiting Guest
Real long shot here
Messenger service will allow access to popups that can at times storm you. (popup after popup after popup). Popup blockers do not work with these.

It should be disabled. If you have any other O/S besides 98 or ME. Have you done this? This can only be done with 2000, XP, and NT. Me and 98 cannot be disabled.
Dowload this utility: http://www.mywebattack.com/gnomeapp.php?id=107029

It can be done manually of course but using shoot the messenger is just as easy..

If you prefer to do it manually see the site below for instructions.

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Victoria

Old 12-07-03, 03:34 PM
I downloaded ad-aware, updated it, and ran it twice in a row. On the second run, it identified something related to the downloadplus thing mentioned above. Hopefully this will cure this problem that just about has me pulling out hairs by the root.

Thanks you very much for the info.

P.S. Yes I shut down win messenger long ago.

Old 12-08-03, 01:04 AM
Victoria R
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good news. xxxx fingers crossed for you that this is the end of your problem.
You're very welcome.

Victoria

Old 12-08-03, 10:10 AM
So far, so good. I think it may have solved this pesky problem. Thanks to all for the help.

P.S. I ran spybot, cleaned all it found, then ran adaware, it found alot that spybot didn't. Kudos to the swedish that developed this product.

Old 12-08-03, 04:40 PM
tae
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I always run both for just that reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: