Baldurs Gate II

Old 12-08-03, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baldurs Gate II

How do you connect 2 computers directly so that two players can play this game from each computer?

I tried to do this while my husband and his co-worker were here but one of the systems wouldn't stay up (battery problems) and now they're trying to do this while out of town.

I sent them with several things. They can connect through ethernet or through Turbo Link via twisted USB cable.

Unfortuantely they brought me this to work with on Saturday night and they left Sunday morning. Not a lot of time for me to figure it out, plus they ended up taking another computer since one they brought me would not work. The book (manual for game) did say that they could play this way with two computers directly connected to each other and do it through TCP/IP (I think that's the correct acronym).

Is this impossible for me to figure out with them 8 hours from here or is it simpler than I'm making it?

Thanks for any help,

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-03, 07:15 AM
If both computers have a network interface card (NIC) then connecting them together is fairly easy, but you need the right equipment.

They can both be connected with straight through cables by connecting each one to a hub. Or you can connect them directly together using a crossover cable from the ethernet port on one to the ethernet port on the other.

Old 12-08-03, 07:25 AM
I sent them with a straight cat 5 cable. I'll have them make a crossover. I only had the crossover USB. Both computers have a NIC card in them so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Kay

Ps. These guys cable for a living LOL but know very little about the computers they install cabling for. I'm still learning so I'm not a huge help to them LOL.

K.

Old 12-08-03, 07:30 AM
One more point, since they will not be connected to another system, each computer will have to manually be configured for TCP/IP communication.

Just assign each one a unique IP address. Use two addresses in the same subnet, such 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. The subnet mask for each will be 255.255.255.0. As they aren't going anywhere else they don't need a dns server and they don't need a gateway.

Old 12-08-03, 07:42 AM
Okay, this part might be confusing for them. The laptop is setup to connect to the internet 3 different ways. One through dialup, one through ethernet to my surfboard modem, and also through usb drivers through the surfboard modem. I know this is totally going to blow their minds LOL.

I just purchased the ethernet card for the laptop and never removed the USB connection setting that up.

Both computers are running Win98se. I've sent them the link to this thread to read for themselves, and have booted my system up in Win98 so maybe I can walk them through it.

I'm not sure what their schedule is since they start the job today. Usually the first day is just a walk through then they're off the rest of the day. If they're working schools like they usually do while in this area, then they will play during the day while class is going on and then work at night.

I do appreciate all your help. This is hard for me to do anyway, but trying to accomplish this long distance with them is harder.

Thanks again!

Kay

Old 12-08-03, 10:57 PM
I think at least one of the computers is going to need Win 2K or greater for the peer to peer to work. I remember reading somewhere that Win98 doesn't handle peer to peer.

Old 12-09-03, 05:45 AM
The last I heard from them my husband said that his co-worker understood what was listed in the thread. That was yesterday before noon. I haven't heard from them since.

So, that means they're either working instead of playing, or totally wrecked my computer !

Kay

Ps. As soon as I know something I'll post the results.

K.

Old 12-09-03, 06:27 AM
As long as the machines are set up properly peer to peer networking will work on any network. There is no requirement for any particular operating system.

Old 12-09-03, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, it's not really so much a matter of the OS installed, but rather the software installed. Peer to Peer is just networking - with a single cable and no hubs or switches, etc. Win98 does support P2P anyway - no special software required (depending on the type of cable used and connection used, you may have to install some Networking components.) But, for the most part, it's ready to go.

I haven't tried Baulder's, but most TCP/IP games will work right over a P2P or serial connection (some newer ones don't) or modem2modem or several options. As long as TCP/IP and possible IPX is setup, it should be able to find the other computer just fine. I'm not even sure they have to be on the same subnet - but that really depends on the game and how the servers work.

Speaking of servers - one computer will have to be the host, the other will have to "find" the host (there should be an option to search host locally or globally, etc.) Should be no problem to get working.

Good luck guys!

Old 12-09-03, 09:42 AM
Brandon,

From the short paragraph I read in the Baldur Manual it said that the host would automatically find the client when the game is started if this option is chosen.

Both of them seem to enjoy this game and if it keeps them out of the game shops around there then I want to get them going with this!

Thanks for all the help guys. I will post when I know how its working (or not) for them. I get really brief emails just saying hi so I have no idea what hours they're working right now.

Kay

Ps. For those wondering, they are working out of town and go through periods of cabin fever when not working. Its a tourist town, so unless you've got boo-koo's of money there's not much to do there.

K.

Old 12-09-03, 09:49 AM
I want a job like that ... wait I have one like that ... part time teacher.

I stand corrected on the P2P OS support. I teach computers at a local Tech College. I have a load of book knowledge but my hands on knowledge suffers. This thread gives me real world problems and other information that I can't find in textbooks ... thanks for all you do ... yep this Bud's (milk or your preference) for all the Mods.

Old 12-09-03, 09:59 AM
I am so frustrated with these two right now I could scream. They are honestly trying to set this all up BEFORE preparing the crossover cable for the NIC cards.

OMG. I guess they don't believe me when I said to do that first. Then begin the other.

My husband. Not sure what to do with him LOL.

Kay

Old 12-09-03, 10:41 AM
I think you are already trying to do this, but...

Have them connect the two computers together and verify that the cable and networking are correct before going on to their game.

Old 12-09-03, 12:33 PM
Had to run get a transformer to fix the heater...

Now they have the twisted cat5 cable set up. I'm trying to remember how it works in Windows. Network neighborhood the deal or go in through winipcfg?

Jeesh, I'm having a senior moment again.

Kay

Old 12-09-03, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If they're using Win98 - Control Panel/Networking is the easiest way. I can't remember if you can access the Network Connections through the NN or not in 98 (been so long.)

Old 12-09-03, 01:03 PM
I booted into windows and found that through control panel/network is the way to go.

Am getting upset (as is DH) since Ayce decided to remove things while we were in this process. He's rebooted twice since I've been on here. Such a bother.

I just typed out the directions on AIM and told them to scroll back up and read through it when they could.

It just frustrates me when they ask for my help and then mess around like that. Not to mention I've got you guys right here to help so they need to get on the ball!

Not to mention I still have to fix the heater. LOL

Kay

Old 12-10-03, 12:25 PM
update

Wrong information was given to me.

Ayce is running ME not 98. They pulled the NIC card and reinstalled it to get the system to find it. Then the network wizard came up and configured it, but also made an install disk to use on another system using 95 or 98. However, some dialog box is coming up on my computer (Dell laptop running 98se) saying that it performed an illegal operation due to another program stopping the installation.

I'm confused now.

Kay