HELP--hard drive died

Old 12-08-03, 08:58 PM
92sammy
Visiting Guest
HELP--hard drive died

Is there ANYWAY of retreiving info from a hard drive once it goes belly-up? I thought I read about a place where this could be done or at least attempted?? Is there ANY hope?? The hard drive has the last 3 years of all our business on it. PLEASE respond someone.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-03, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
How "belly up" is it?

Does it light up, or can you hear / feel it spinning? What symptoms does it display? How do you know it's gone bad?

Depending on your answer, you may be able to install it as a slave drive in a different computer, then transfer the data files off.

In case it becomes important, TechBargains.com shows an 80 gig Maxtor for $37 (after rebates). Good luck with it!

Old 12-08-03, 10:00 PM
92sammy
Visiting Guest
screen blank

It had been freezing up and booting up hard and squiggly on the screen Tonight it froze and when hitting reset the screen just stays blank...NIL NOTHING> It is a removable hard drive and when putting into another pc it wont do anything either. Yet another hard drive will work fine in the machine.. ANYWAY....???

Old 12-08-03, 10:17 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Describe your system

Make, model, OS, etc., and please provide details about the removable drive.

Old 12-09-03, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what did you back up the data onto?

Since this is critical business data, what media did you use to back up the data? A CD burner is about $50. A CD-R is about ten cents.

The hard drive on my work pc did what you described. Couldn't recover anything from it. But, there might be specialized companies that might be able to recover some stuff, but it will be costly. Sorry, but I don't know any names to recommend.

Old 12-09-03, 06:32 AM
Methinks you are SOL. Now you know why every business needs a working plan for data backup and recovery.

When you do get up and running again, you would be wise to implement some plan to prepare for and deal with situations like this.

Old 12-09-03, 09:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are data recovery companies out there - as BobF mentioned, they are quite expensive to deal with. I'm not sure of the exact procedure, but I would guess it involves the removing of the disk media from the current drive to operate with a new controller (as this is the part of the drive that typically goes south.) The data is still there - it's just not accessible in it's current condition.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this can't be done by just anyone - it requires very specialized equipment and procedures.

I think I would start with the manufacturer of the HD - give them a call, see if they have any ideas. Who knows? Maybe they can do something for you - I wouldn't count on it being covered by any warranties though. If they can't help, maybe they can at least refer you to someone who specializes in their products (very important when it comes to something like this.)

If you have the cash to dish out - you can always find someone that will do the work for you, but the big question is <i>is it really worth it?</i>

Good luck! And, yes, the suggestions about data back-ups - very important. After something like this happens, you tend to remember to keep good backups in the future.

Old 12-09-03, 09:55 AM
Insurance

The recovery process is verrry expensive. I think its by the byte or Kbyte. In any case look to your insurance company for help in the recovery costs. As a business there may be a clause in your insurance for the recovery of data. Some new riders like this have been written into the policies. It never hurts to check and see, the worst they can say is no!

Old 12-10-03, 12:50 PM
Not likely to help, but try laying the PC on its side or even upside down. Investigate a Raid1 system for data security when you get out of the mess you’re in.