computers

Old 12-10-03, 12:00 PM
xufan
Visiting Guest
computers

lately,
whenever I start up my computer, I get a brief icon in the tray along the bottom of the screen that says"matcli". It disappers after a few moments. I have never noticed this before but I just recently upgraded my system over the internet because of a urget message from Microsoft stating my system needed upgrading. Also I notice I now have difficulty staying on the internet for any period of time. I get a message stating my system resources are dangerously low and applications are being terminated. This is also new. Has someone hijacked my computer and using it to run bulk e mails???

What to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-03, 12:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
<a href="http://www.acorn-online.com/compcorn/cc823.htm">This page</a> has a pretty good explanation of Matcli.exe and Secret.exe (or Silent.exe - it's referred to as both in this article.)

It seems that it is "spyware" of sorts installed by HP/Compaq Support - I say "spyware" because it collects your personal information and logs it to a file (IMO, that's spyware.) But, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-03, 12:53 PM
venom077
Visiting Guest
Did you get the message from microsoft in your e-mail? If so you may have a virus problem. Thats a scam thats been running lately. If you have an av program then you should really update it and run it. If not you should at least try one of the free online ones like at trendmicro.com

Old 12-11-03, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question unrelated to your post

I can't address your question but I have a question about your name - xufan.

Is that short for Xavier University?

Old 12-11-03, 07:23 AM
xufan
Visiting Guest
YES!!!

MBA 1989 from Xavier University!!

Old 12-11-03, 07:31 AM
xufan
Visiting Guest
computers

Thanks to all - appreciate the infor on "matcli" I did just buy a new hp printer (7660) and this probably appeared right after installation. I will take steps to remove. As far as the microsoft message, I get this all the time on my work computer via E mail. this message from "Microsoft pops up while I am home on line surfing the internet, not through the E mail portal.
This sie is great for dummies like me.