wordpad freeze

Old 12-10-03, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wordpad freeze

Two weeks ago, wordpad froze when I opened it for about 30 seconds then it would jump and finally allow my keyboard or mouse to work with it.
H.P. told me I had corrupted files and to recovrer; I did and it worked ok for two weeks then started doing it again.
This time I was online and wanted to refer to the wordpad so I opened it while on online and that is when it froze. I'm wondering if my cpu is not capable of viewing online material and opening wordpad at the same time.
I have a celeron 1 or 2 with 80% performance and 190mb ram. I run windows 98 se.
I never used wordpad until it was pointed out to me that rtf is a somewhat universal extesion and better than my wordprocesser which is wps. Notepad is not equipped for data like letters etc and so I save as rtf.which defaults to wordpad.
Is this symptomatic of failing hard/soft ware?
It is not reasonable to recover every two weeks.
I have not deleted any files lately except for *.pwl to rid the screen of the windows user password sign on.
This H.P pavilion was not expensive three years ago and I'm tempted to get another machine but it would be satisfying to fix this problem if possible.
I wish I could isolate wordpad and 'repair' it.
Any solid ideas appreciated.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-03, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After you boot into safe mode and run scandisk, defrag, anti-virus, and ad-aware, do you still have this problem? Do you have all the updates to your operating system? Are you receiving any error messages?

Old 12-10-03, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hang up

Hi Chfite
Right now the wordpad is behaving.
I weekly run the maintenance wizard which does scan dick, defrag. I also run my a/v.
I get no error messages.
Either this is somthing new or it always existed in word pad and I just started using it.
Re: o.s. being up to date-if you mean do I get all the packs and updates from m.s., I don't b/c the last time I tried that all was chaos. I had it set so I got automatic downloads then I changed it to what I thought was appropriate but it ran awful. I rely on my a/v and avoid m.s.
Pete